Author Topic: ULLadu Narpadu - 187  (Read 910 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
ULLadu Narpadu - 187
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:45:25 AM »

T.R. Kanakammal continues:

"But why all this?  Can the world exist apart from the Self?  The I"
is always Brahman. Its identity need not be established by logic
and practice.  It is enough if one realize the Self.  It is always
Brahman.  According to other school, nididhyasana will be the thought  'Aham Brahmasmi'.  That is diversion of thought to Brahman.  No diversion should be allowed.  Know the Self and there is an end of it.  No long process is necessary to know the Self. Is it to be pointed out by another?  Does not everyone know that he exists?  Even in utter darkness when he cannot see his hand, he answers a call and says "I am here".....[Therefore] the inquiry 'Who am I?' is the sravana.  The ascertainment of the true import of 'I' is the manana.  The practical application on each occasion is nididhyasana.  Being as "I" is Samadhi."   (Talks No. 647).       

The meditating on "I am Brahman" will not lead to the goal directly was often explained by Bhagavan Ramana with the upanishadic
story of Cartman Raikwa, a realized soul.  He was known as Cartman Raikwa for he dressed exactly like a cartman with a knee-
length dhoti, a turban and stick in hand. He was always found attired under an abandoned cart.  One day on his way to the river,
he noticed a sadhak repeating unceasingly 'I am Brahman', 'I am
Brahman' continuously. When for days together he saw the sadhak repeating it.  Raikwa one day stood before him and started repeating in a loud voice, "Cartman Raikwa is here."  Disturbed
and unable to carry on his practice of Japa, the sadhak opened
his eyes and shouted at Raikwa.  "Your very attire proclaims you as a cartman and everybody knows that.  Where then is the needed for you to shout something that is obvious to everybody's knowledge?"  Raikwa shot back, "You say you are Brahman.  So you know it.  Do you have to repeat it endlessly then?"  The message went home and the sadhak became silent thereafter.

The quest of the Self is the direct path, and the meditation on Mahavakya is a preliminary aid for breaking up the idea of the body as the Self.

As Muruganar says:

In the steady peace of the still mind,
With breath within the heart held firm
And all five senses merged in one,
In such keen insight realize
Pure, flawless being as Awareness.

Arunachala Siva.