Author Topic: ULLadu Narpadu - 182  (Read 1039 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
ULLadu Narpadu - 182
« on: June 12, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »

Sri Lakshmana Sarma covers in his Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad,
[in a few verses] the message of Verse 28 of ULLadu Narpadu:

Verse 463:  "One should seek the Self, who is Pure and free from
sorrow within the Heart, by resolve to know Him, and thereby aim
at Peace", - so the ancient revelation, and the Guru, describe the
direct path for the experience of the Truth of the Real Self.

Verse 464:  "The resolve to know", mentioned here, in the intention
to win experience of one's own Self.  Only by such intention can
the aspirant turn his mind inwards in this quest of one's own Self.

Verse 465:  There is mentioned in the ancient revelation the dwelling place of the Supreme One, named the Heart.  He himself being all there is, how can the Heart be designated as His dwelling
place?

Verse 466: The real Heart is just Consciousness in its native purity, and the Self also is that Consciousness.  So it follows that the Self is Himself the Heart, and all creation is established in Him as
the Substratum.

Verse 467:  And yet the sages and the Vedantas teach that the One, who has really no dwelling place, has a dwelling place called
the Heart inside the body in order to cause the inward-turning of the mind in the quest.

Verse 468:  The sense organs are turned only outwards, that being the reason for the Self being covered over by the world.  The means for uncovering the true nature of that Self is only inward turning [of the mind] of the aspirant in the quest of that Self. [Kathopanishad].

Verse 469:  The difference between bondage and deliverance has been shown [thus] by the sages in accordance with their own experience: "The bound one suffers from the arising of the ego sense. The ego sense does not arise in the case of the One that is free.

Verse 470:  Though the Great Being, the Self, is ever present,
dearly beloved and of great effulgence, it is as if His effulgence is dimmed by the evil one, the Ego, so that He does not shine sufficiently, so as to be recognized.

Verse 471:  Ignorance consists in the awareness which consists
in the experience 'I am the body'.  How can this experiential awareness be just brought to end once for all, without the experiential awareness, "I am the Pure Consciousness"?

Verse 472:  The thought that arises in the form, "I am the body", is itself the form in which the individual soul has experience.  The aspirant must seek the source wherefrom it arises, after separating from it the fraction of it which is real.

Verse 473:  This individual is not altogether unreal.  He is not so in the same sense as the barren woman's son is unreal.  The Real Self is present as the Substratum on which the sense of an individual soul is superimposed, and hence even though unreal, he is taken to be real.

Verse 474: The element of Reality of the 'soul', which is the "I",
is the Consciousness, which is the nature of the Real Self. By taking hold of this element of Reality, the seeker of deliverance is enabled to engage in the quest of that Self.

Verse 475 to 477:  Giving up the element of unreality of this soul, namely the body and all the rest of it, and fixing the mind  on the Consciousness of the Self, having the form of 'I', which is extremely subtle like a ray of the Real Self, the seeker should dive into the Heart, seeking the place of birth of this "I" sense, [the ego] with the question 'Who am I?' or 'Whence is this I?' like the dog that rejoins his master, seeking him by following his scent, or as a diver dives into water, to recover something that has fallen therein, and thereby attain one's own Real State.

Verse 478:  If during this quest of one's own Self the mind turns outwards, due to attachment to sense objects, the seeker should turn it inwards again by merging the world in the Self.

Verse 479:  "Just as waves, foam, etc., are only the ocean, and as the dream-world is only the seer of the dream, and nothing else, so the whole world is only Myself and nothing else".  This view is the merging of the world in the Self.

Verse 480: Or he should bring the mind back again and again [as often as necessary] and re-engage it in the quest by the reslove to become aware of the Truth of oneself, by means of the question: "Who is he, that has the attachment to sense objects?"

Verse 484:  The answer to this question is not an intellectual conclusion.  The proper answer to it is only the experience of the Real Self in the Supreme State, arising on the death of the ego, the questioner, named the 'individual self' [the soul].

Verse 490:  Right Awareness dawns on the complete extinction of the ego, whereby all the mental habits are lost.  Deliverance is affirmed by all sages to be none other than the final and complete destruction of the mental habits.

Arunachala Siva.