Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi Says Self-satisfaction Is The Driving Force Behind all work  (Read 2657 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Some People say "My love is not for myself; I work in this world not for my own happiness but for the welfare of other people. In fact, I live for others. To care only for my own happiness is selfishness – that is not my aim. My aim is the happiness of others”.

This is superficial talk, betraying a lack of sincere and serious analysis! People do not realize that every so-called selfless act which they do brings happiness only to themselves!

Let us take the example of a man who is prepared to undergo,throughout his lifetime, all kinds of sufferings for his son just to maintain, educate, and keep him above needs and wants; in doing so it is he alone who gets satisfaction from seeing the prosperity of his son. He worked for this satisfaction alone. Is not this satisfaction his own? Is not this self-satisfaction the driving force behind all his socalled selfless work?

The former American President Abraham Lincoln once saved a pig by lifting it out of the mire in which it was caught, and while doing so his body and clothes became very dirty. The onlookers asked him why he, the president of such a vast country, should dirty himself just to save a common pig. He replied : “I got involved in this action not so much to relieve the suffering of the pig, but to relieve myself from the suffering I experienced at the sight of the pig, I did this only for my own peace of mind!” What Lincoln said then is the practical truth of the matter.

It is only this self-satisfaction – one’s own happiness–which is the hidden motive behind all kinds of selfless acts! This can in no way be denied.

Source: The Path of Sri Ramana PART ONE The Jñana aspect of the teaching By Sri Sadhu Om

Subramanian.R

• View Profile

Dear prasanth,

Yes.  Eventual satisfaction is the driving force behind all work.
This may be called Job Satisfaction or Self Actualization in
management.  But this is true in real life too.  The example of
a mother who forgets all her labor pain after the child is delivered,
is the example given normally in literature.

One Azhwar sings differently.  It is like a patient [who is having
a huge boil on his thigh] and the doctor [ancient village vaidya],
who heats up a sharp knife and cuts the boil and further treats
the open wound with further touching with that red hot knife.
The patient just loves the doctor because of the eventual satisfaction, he has got. 

VaaLal aurthu chudinum
Maruttavan paal
MaaLadha kadhal noyaLan pola....

Even if the doctor cuts and further touches the wound with a sharp heated sword, I shall have unending love for you, O Ranganatha.  Let there be million miseries.  Ultimately I get liberation at your feet!

I think this is Tirumangai Azhwar who lived near Sri Rangam.

Arunachala Siva.       

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Well said Subramanian sir.

As Self-satisfaction Is The Driving Force Behind all work it means there is no such thing called "desireless action."

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile

Dear prasanth,

"Desireless action" is what self realized Jnani like Bhagavan
Ramana does.  He used to help preparing wonderful sambar
and vegetable curries, but while eating He will eat in one lump
mixing everything along with rice sent by Echammal and Mudaliar
Patti.

The genuine seekers also acquire this practice of desireless action
in course of time, keeping only the desire for the Self with them.

Arunachala Siva. 

Arunachala Siva.   

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Dear Subramanian Garu,

Today i am listening to Sri Sundara Chaitanya Swami pravachanam of Bhagavan's Upadesa Saram and below are few points regarding Sri Sundara Chaitanya Swami's views regarding desireless action.

Sri Sundara Chaitanya Swami says there is nothing like desireless action at all.

Even ramana maharshi would not have written "Updadesa Saram" etc without any desire.

Without desire we cannot do any karma.

Having desires is nothing wrong like it is not wrong for businessman to desire some profit.

We are all suffering only because of our reaction based on our karma.

Suppose 2 students write exam and both fail exam. Seeing the result one student comitted suicide and 2nd person does not bother much and he thinks it is ok to write exam next time again.

So the way we reaction is very important and is the reason for all our miseres.

Another Example where 2 businessman started business and first businessman aims at 30% perfect and 2nd businessman does not have any target profit percentage.

After both get 25% profit first businessman cries that he is in loss because he expected 30% perfect while for the same profit 2nd businessman is very happy.

So we can undestand that expectations are the reason for misery.

When We take the result of the action as a prasadam of god then our karma themselves becomes naivedyam(prasadam) to god.

WE generally donot care of the taste when someone gives aivedyam(prasadam) of god because we feel sacred.

Taste of prasad can sometimes be good or bad which can be compared to the results of our karma.

Our results of our karma maybe sometimes as expected or sometimes as not expected but we should treat them equally.

We should welcome whatever comes to our life happily.

So to conclude no doubt "Self-satisfaction Is The Driving Force Behind all work" but we should treat the results of our karma as god's prasadam irrespective of whether it is good/bad then the karma will automatically become sacred.

This is what happened in the case in case of bhagavan ramana in the below story.

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=4901.0

SLakshmi

• View Profile
This reminds me of a conversation the other day i had with my paatu teacher sh.viswanathan mama. He is a direct student of stalwarts like MD Ramanathan and musiri. He is 75. It was his 45th wedding anniversary the other day, and while recounting his early days, he said that after his mother, it was maami who had taken such good care of him. He said that she had served him all his life with utmost care and affection. He said even if there were the usual fights, there was always this underlying affection he had towards her, ofcourse due to his own selfishness. I asked him what he meant. He said that no matter how much we may claim that we love our family, is it not because it is our's [the family] that we love them and take care of them?! It is no self-less act to care of one's family and make sacrifices for them. You do it for yourself. Not for them. It is the reality!

I was taken aback at how simply and with a straight face, viswanathan mama had put across such a deep truth which we all so beautifully bury under the carpet and claim how much time and sacrifice we undertake to make people around us happy!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile

Dear prasanth and SLakshmi,

There are two ways of looking at this desire as per Bhagavan
Ramana.

One is the desire with doership and enjoyership.  This comes
about only when there is ego.  We all have desires due to our
ego.  Even here the Upanishads say that we love a thing or
an action due to the fact that we love for the Self.  "It is because
I love my Self, I love my wife.  It is because I love my Self,
I love the children."     

Another is the desire or love without ego.  The killing of ego
results in absence of both doership and enjoyership.  For such
persons, the realized Jnanis, the doing and enjoying is done
by the Self, and Self only.  Otherwise, how can Sri Sankara who
reached the pinnacle of Advaitam could write such massive works on bhakti and jnana?  How could Bhagavan Ramana write Upadesa
Saram and Sad Darsanam?  It is the Self that did all these things. 

Saiva Siddhantam says slightly differently.  It says for a self realized Jnani, there is some thing called Suddha Manas.  This is
simply a substitute of the ego.  It does all the work.  Muruganar also uses this phrase Suddha Manas or Pure Mind in his works.

Arunachala Siva.       

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Excellent explanation Subramanian garu.

I agree with you.

Not having 'i am the doer' and Killing ego is prerequisite.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
beautifully put forth subramanian sir. Many thanks.