Author Topic: Narayana Suktam  (Read 4888 times)

Narayana Suktam
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Narayana Suktam or Mantra pushpam is a chant invoking the Lord as Narayana in our heart. Its a part of
Mahanarayana upanishad. Its a very beautiful prayer. I am not technically qualified to discuss the chantings or the technical
beauty of Narayana suktam.

This is just a basic discussion of the poem as such.
The best resource for studying narayana suktam is, in my opinion:

Here, we will just delve into the poem in layman style.

Essentially the same thing is spoken in various other places as well. The idea is, when one hears
these verses, one can look within and find a "Match" for the description.

If that match is not found, the whole purpose of such chantings is lost. The Self is God. The
Consciousness within is God. And as long as I do not recognize that I am That, I shall remain ignorant.

The cause for suffering is, superimposition of the states of body and mind upon Self. I say I am sad ... which
means sadness of mind is superimposed on Self. That is, mind is taken as Self.
I am worried.
I am anxious.
I am peaceful.

all these mean, the mind is taken for Self. Please note that it is not this usage that is the problem.
Saying "I am worried" or "The mind is worried" is the same ... Are the Thoughts of worry able to
Touch me or not, that is what matters.

These prayers are just ways to remain as Self. There is no other purpose than that. They are very
effective at that.

Narayana means The Deathless Self in our hearts.
Atma means "Me"

Narayana is Atma -- this is something to be seen within.

And when Narayana is explained as "Aksharam" [That which knows no decay or change], one has to clearly
perceive this within. How, I am changeless, Deathless, Decayless!

• View Profile
Re: Narayana Suktam
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:25:49 AM »
Dear Udai ji

Like Narayana Suktam, there are many suktam. Sri suktam, Neela suktam and of course purasha  suktam. This pursha suktam and rudram are chanted during Rudra abhishakam and Shiva Puja especially during pradhosham in all shiva temples.
It is very pleasant to hear purusha suktam in temples. They say ladies should not chant purusha suktam but sri suktam they can chant. I want to know the meaning of purusha suktam. Hope you would post it.

Thanking you,

• View Profile
Re: Narayana Suktam
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »
Dear I,

This is a good point:

"if ever one finds "There is no bliss", that means, he or she is still "Expecting" , "Trying" something mentally. Just remain unconcerned and things will fall in place. Just remember Ramana and remain unconcerned ... thats the simple way."

There is one very interesting quote that I read somewhere, I dont even remember who said it but it goes like this:

"If you don't know what happiness is, you will never be unhappy" and thats a great revelation

Salutations to Sri Ramana

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta