Author Topic: Previous life of Draupadi  (Read 6133 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Previous life of Draupadi
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »
Mahabharata Adiparva Chaitrarathaparva section 171-172

Hearing the narrative of the Brahmana about birth of Draupadi, and also listening of the Draupadi's swayamvara, Pandavas with their mother set out towards Panchala kingdom. While they were living in Ekachakra town, Vyasa visited them once more to tell them about their future wife.

There lived a certain maiden in a rishis hermitage. Due to her past karma, she couldn't get married in that life. So she did great penance pleasing Lord Shankara. Shiva being Bhaktavatsala appeared before her and told her to ask any boon she wants. She asked him for a husband with various qualities, repeatedly. Lord Shankara then granted that boon and said, she will have five husbands from Bharata clan. She said, "Lord, I want only one husband", to this the Lord said, "You asked for a husband, five times, hence you will have five husbands in your next life".

Having narrated the above story, Vyasa then said to Pandavas "Sons, that damsel is reborn as Draupadi to Panchala king, Drupada. She is set aside as the Queen for all five of you. Go to Panchala and obtain her as your wife".

Reflections From the Story:

When people pray, they have to make a sankalpa (statement of intention) properly and their objective should be clear in their mind. One has to be careful what one utters, and also what one thinks apart from being careful about actions.So we need to be careful even in your thoughts, not only in your actions.Budhdha also said, One has to be clear about the objective of their prayers.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: Previous life of Draupadi
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:05:13 PM »
Most of the times we do not know what to ask, how to ask and when to ask. We are child in front of God (of course we are the children of Him) So it is better to ask such way, to grant NIRMALA BHAKTHI and achanchala Bhakthi. If we have bhakthi it will lead to accept the life which way it comes.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Previous life of Draupadi
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »

Dear Ramanaduli,

Once Akhilandamma asked Bhagavan Ramana for some Upadesam.
What Bhagavan Ramana could give?  He told Akhilandamma:
"Unnaiye unakku kodu".  You give your Self to you!  Akhilandamma
did not understand this at all.  However, she pursued with a
prayer to Arunachala:  Ennaiye enakku kodu.  Give me my Self to me!
She led her entire life serving Bhagavan and Mother Azhagamma without any sankalpa for her and merely seeking the Self.

Arunachala Siva.