Author Topic: chanting OM  (Read 3102 times)

srkudai

chanting OM
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »
Friends,
      What is the stand of Scriptures & Ramana on chanting omkara ?
      Please comment :)

Love!
Silence

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: chanting OM
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »
Just my humble (intellectual) understanding...

Omkara is the primordial sound, Sages like Vishwamitra, Vasishta, and other great Maharshi's were able to hear the primordial sound, of that everything-ness or nothingness, the sound of the cosmos, the sound emanating around the universes, galaxies. The sound of Samadhi, silence or Self is Om.

I have read somewhere that Rakesh Sharma, the first Indian astronaut to go to space, was able to hear the sound of Om continuesly in space.

Its significance can be understood looking at Lord Sri Ranganatha,

A-kara, U-kara and M-kara makes into AUM

A-kara, is originated at the Beejam or Navel, like how Brahma originated from the navel of Sri Vishnu as Ranganathar, U-kara emanates from the Chest area, where Sri or Shakti resides always and M-kara always is what is pervaded everywhere.

Therefore when we do Om chanting, the sound has to originate from the navel area, and this forms a core of Raja Yoga were the Kundalini Shakti is lifted upwards, the vibrations can be felt quite fast if practiced sincerely. One has to observe how the sound from the source, the heart, and its movement.

hence, any mantra or Shloka is only an extension of Omkara, or rather all mantras or Shlokas only attempt to explain or praise the Glory of Om or AUM.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:13:17 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »

Bhagavan Ramana in His various works speak only once about
Om or Omkara.  This is in Verse 13 of Sri Arunachala Akshara
Mana Maalai. 

Meaning:  Import of Om, unqualled, unsurpassed and all transcendent you, O Arunachala?

The mystic syllable is all-inclusive and all transcendent.  It includes
apparent evil, which we can overcome only with the help of
this mysterious Power, Om.  (Comments by Prof. Swaminathan).

The meaning and power of AUM cannot be explained in words or
conceived by the mind.  It can only be experienced as the bliss
of Being, in full identity with the Self.  The meaning of AUM is the same as Arunachala, the Self, I am, pure Being.

Arunachala Siva.   

amiatall

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
If i remember correctly, Ramana mentioned that even OM is second to the chant of 'I,I'.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:44:15 PM »
To me,

Sri Ramana, never ever said this is superior or that is superior, he always focused or stressed on the Self alone and nothing else. who ever seemed deviating into wrong way, he used to bring them back to Self.

Om and 'I' is just one and the same.

to Sri Kavyakantha, Sri Bhagavan said, if one watches whence the notion 'I' arises, where from it arises, that is Tapas.

the same enquiry is carried out in any kind of Japa, be it Om, Rama, Krishna, Govinda, the source of the sound is to be enquired upon.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

amiatall

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:39:47 PM »
Khanna's wife asked Sri Ramana for a simple method, as she found no time for meditation.

Sri Ramana replied to her about the first and greatest of all mantras:
"If you can do nothing more, at least continue saying 'I,I' to yourself mentally all the time,
as advised in 'Who am I?', whatever work you may be doing and whether you are sitting,
standing or walking. 'I' is the name of God. It is the first and greatest of all mantras.
Even OM is second to it."

Does it imply superiority? No and Yes.
If a mouse realizes that it is of the same gold as Lion, does that mean that the mouse becomes Lion?
Of course the essence to be looked upon is gold, but never ever mouse will become Lion.