Author Topic: ULLadu Narpadu - 163  (Read 904 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
ULLadu Narpadu - 163
« on: June 08, 2010, 11:26:48 AM »

In Guru Ramana, S.S. Cohen says about one conversation:-

A visitor once asked Bhagavan Ramana, "If the ego or "I" is unreal
and an illusion, who then casts off the illusion?"  Bhagavan
Ramana replied:  "The "I" casts of the illusion of "I" and yet remains as "I".  This appears to be a paradox to you.  It is not so to the Jnani.  Take the case of bhakta.  His "I" prays to the Lord to unite with Him, which is its surrender.  What remains as residuum after the surrender is the eternal "I", which is God the Absolute, Paramartan Himself.  What has happened to the "I", which originally prayed? Being unreal, it simply vanished." 

The ego is the tempting devil and Bhagavan used to say that the first sin [original sin] of Adam and Eve [that of eating the forbidden fruit] is this identification with the ego, there by committing Atma
Hatya, murder of the Self.  The ego is both a murderer and an impostor.  Its birth is most inauspicious.  By borrowing the light of Atman, it parades as the Atman, the other inauspicious thing to do.  So much so, Muruganar (in Guru Vachaka Kovai, Verse 161,
Tr. Prof. K. Swaminathan) always used to mock at people's efforts to look for an auspicious time and date, propitious for starting or doing something good or auspicious!  There can be no auspiciousness for the inauspicious ego [which alone goes in search of auspicious time], whose birth itself is the most inauspicious!

When ego ends, then one becomes
A devotee true; when ego ends
One becomes a knower too;
When ego ends, grace wills all space.

-  Verse 161 of Guru Vachaka Kovai.

Arunachala Siva.