Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi Recollects His Bhiksha In Agraharam  (Read 1036 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Ramana Maharshi Recollects His Bhiksha In Agraharam
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »
20th November, 1948

Questioner: “It seems Bhagavan used to go out to collect alms personally while staying in Arunagiri Temple?”

Bhagavan: “Yes. I used to go out every night. I went to Arunagirinatha Temple in the month of August or September 1898.

“As soon as I went there to stay, I told Palaniswami that I would go my way and he should go his and sent him away. But although he came back the same evening, I myself went out for alms. At times I used to go even during daytime. At night people
used to wait for me outside, with lanterns, to give me alms.

In those days, going out for alms used to be an exhilarating experience. I used to accept two or three handfuls of food at each place and eat. By the time I had thus eaten at three or four houses my belly would be full and I used to return
home.”

Questioner: “Perhaps the other householders used to feel disappointed at your not visiting their houses.”

Bhagavan: “Yes. That is so. That is why the next day I used to go to the other side of the Agraharam. I do not think ultimately I left out even one house in that Agraharam.”

Questioner: “How blessed those householders must be!”

Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam VOLUMES I, II & Letters from and Recollections of Sri Ramanasramam By SURI NAGAMMA Translated by D. S. SASTRI

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Maharshi Recollects His Bhiksha In Agraharam
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:36:46 PM »

Bhagavan Ramana did not know even how to ask for bhiksha.  He
went to the streets and said, "Bhiksha, Bhiksha!"  The urchins
made fun of Him repeating Bhiksha, Bhiksha,  How many paise for
one bhiksha? (as if He was selling an article called bhiksha!).
Bhagavan Ramana became a little shy.  His devotees like Pazhani
Swami and others knew some songs of Tayumanavar and Ramalingswamigal by heart.  So they were chanting them. But there
was one more difficulty.  Every sadhu was singing such songs and
householders who came for bhiksha had some difficulty in informing them that they were from Bhagavan.  So, they wanted Bhagavan
Ramana to compose a song specially, to inform the householders,
that they were devotees of Ramana Group.  Thus came the famous
Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Maalai!

Arunachala Siva.