Author Topic: samsara or family is not got over by voluntarily giving it up  (Read 1885 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear I,

The follollowing incident is recorded in the life of Sri Raghavachari:

In 1911 when I was constantly seeing Maharshi, my wife and others got frightened that my disposition towards fortitude would mature into sanyasam by constant visits to Maharshi and so they went and told their fears to Maharshi and requested to tell him to tell me to remain with my family. So, I went to Maharshi next, he told me that contact with samsara or family is not got over by voluntarily giving it up. "A walking stick that supports me is kept on by me but when I am asleep the stick falls off, by itself."

I would like to hear from each one of you(as myself), your(as my) interpretations, for my(our) self.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: samsara or family is not got over by voluntarily giving it up
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:39:48 AM »
Dear Nagaraj Garu,

Already there was discussion in the past regarding whether Should a householder discard(ignore) his wife for devotion to god or not.

I would request you to pass on your valuable comments in the below link.

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=5091.0

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:44:11 AM »
Samsara or family or wordly life, cannot be done away with, with
one's own simple desire of ascetic life.   It should come, on its own,
helped by Guru or God's grace.  It is something like the book falling
from your hand when you sleep.  No one can keep the book tight
in his hands when sleeping.

Bhagavan Ramana has also said that it is like the dhoti loosening and falling from a drunkard's waist, once he is fully drunk.  One should be fully drunk with the Self-knowledge or Atma bodham, and at that time, his family ties will loosen their grip and leave him in peace.  

It is also like loosening tooth falling away from the gum.  One,
if he tries to pull it by hand, it will bleed.  If it falls on its own,
there is no misery, no bleeding and the gum that was holding it
also does not care.  

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »
Dear I,

Thank you for your replies,

I felt that Bhagavan's reply to Sri Raghavachari is pretty different from most of his responses regarding the matter, specially his reply - "A walking stick that supports me is kept on by me but when I am asleep the stick falls off, by itself."

I felt this response has just much more than what it conveys at a single read, similarly, in the life of Sri Sundaresa Iyer, when he was overwhelmed at his samsara life and was wondering when he wold get good time to stay with Bhagavan always, and when he spoke about it to Bhagavan, He replied - "Aattam kalayattum, Piragu" meaning - "let the game get over, then"

These two answers convey just much more than how simple it looks.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »

Yes.  True renunciation is renunciation of the ego.  Renouncing the family and children
and trying to be alone or renouncing the white dhoti and taking up ochre robe is not
renunciation all all.  Bhagavan Ramana never wanted anyone to leave the family ties
or never recommended wearing ochre robes.  Only in Akhilandamma's case, He just
looked at the ochre sari inside her food vessel and then looked at her.  Akhilandamma
took it as His approval and she embraced renunciation and started wearing ochre robe.
I do not know any other case.

Arunachala Siva.