Author Topic: ULLadu Narpadu - 154  (Read 1105 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
ULLadu Narpadu - 154
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »

On Verse 25, of ULLadu Narpadu, Smt. T.R. Kanakammal writes
the following comments:  (abridged)

Bhagavan Ramana describes in this verse, appearance of that formless ego, its hold, continued stay, experience and growth.  Itself having no form, it cannot rise without holding on to the form of a body.  [Here body may refer to a gross or subtle body or both.]

Any one of the five kosas mentioned in Verse 5 is essential for the go to cling to stay alive.  A form is essential for its existence and growth. While it is identified with gross and subtle bodies, it functions through the mind, feeding on knowledge gained through
five organs of perception.  Vishaya - matters of the world, are its
food.  Holding on to any one of the vasanas, viz., extension of thought forms or sense objects, it appears, acquires the magnitude
of substances clung on to and moves from form to form, thus moving
perpetually.  In the same way, it takes the form of the body of the
'dreamer' in dream and takes another form after death.  This is the
seed of unceasing births.  The ego associated with one body is transferred to another body.  "I" is only one, but egos are different.

Bhagavan Ramana says in Talks No. 163:-

"Soul (Atman) can be without an ego.  But the ego cannot be without
the soul.  Thy are like bubbles and the ocean."   

Bhagavan Ramana also says, in Who am I?:  When one dies, his
his mind (ego) carries the prana and along with it, it takes up another
body.  As its life is such, Bhagavan calls it 'the formless ghost of
ego'.  While truth is not sought by inquiry, it lives in flamboyant style.  But if enquired into, it becomes void of substance. If the ego
gives up permanently these upadhis of form and name of the physical body it is attached to, what remains is the mere Awareness,
of "I am", part-less space of limitless Consciousness.

If you seek the ego, you will find it does not exist.  That is the
way to destroy it.  Bhagavan Ramana says in the Verse:  "Thedinal
ottam pidikkum paar."  "If you look for it, it will run away."

Talks No. 615:-

Bhagavan Ramana says here:

" In this connection, I am often reminded of a funny incident,
which took place, when I was living in Madurai.  A neighbour in
an adjoining house anticipated the visit of a thief to his house.
He took precautions to catch him.  He posted policemen in mufti to guard the two ends of the lane, the entrance and the back door to his own house.  The thief came as expected and the men rushed to catch him.  He took in the situation at a glance and shouted, "Hold him, hold him.  There - he runs - there - there."  Saying so, he made good his escape.  So it is with the ego.  Look for it and it will not be found.  That is the way to get rid of it."

Likewise, so long as enquiry is not made, the terrible and foul play of this ghost will be on.  Once its identity is questioned, it takes to its heels, leaving be on.  Once its identity is questioned, it takes to its heels having no trace behind.  "Who am I?" Atma Vichara - is the most potent weapon to accomplish the exit of the ego.  This enquiry is the powerful exorcist from whom the formless and non existent ego has no hope of such an escape. Enquiry into the nature of the
ego, which is the cause of veiling the Atman, is the bondage as well as the sufferer from it as it gets caught in the very same web it spins for itself. Bondage (the ego), can never become free.  Hence, loss of individuality, or ego, alone can vouchsafe release.     

Arunachala Siva.