Author Topic: Swami Vivekananda says THE GOD OF LOVE IS HIS OWN PROOF  (Read 1054 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Swami Vivekananda says THE GOD OF LOVE IS HIS OWN PROOF
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:52:49 PM »
CHAPTER VIII THE GOD OF LOVE IS HIS OWN PROOF

"None, O beloved, loves the husband for the husband's sake, but it is for the sake of the Self who is in the husband that the husband is loved; none, O beloved, loves the wife for the wife's sake, but it is for the sake of the Self who is in the wife that the wife is loved."

It is said by some that selfishness is the only motive power in regard to all human activities.
That also is love lowered by being particularised.When I think of myself as comprehending the Universal, there can surely be no selfishness in me; but when I, by mistake, think that I am a little something, my love becomes particularized and narrowed. The mistake consists in making the sphere of love narrow and contracted. All things in the universe are of divine origin and deserve to be loved; it has, however, to be borne in mind that the love of the whole includes the love of the parts. This whole is the God of the Bhaktas, and all the other Gods, Fathers in Heaven, or Rulers, or Creators, and all theories and doctrines and books have no purpose and no meaning for them, seeing that they have through their supreme love and devotion risen above those things altogether.When the heart is purified and cleansed and filled to the brim with the divine nectar of love, all other ideas of God become simply puerile and are rejected as being inadequate or unworthy. Such is indeed the power of Para-Bhakti or Supreme Love; and the perfected Bhakta no more goes to see God in temples and churches; he knows no place where he will not find Him. He finds Him in the temple as well as out of the temple, he finds Him in the saint's saintliness as well as in the wicked man's wickedness, because he has Him already seated in glory in his own heart as the one Almighty inextinguishable Light of Love which is ever shining and eternally present.

Source: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Complete_Works_of_Swami_Vivekananda/Volume_3/Para-Bhakti_or_Supreme_Devotion/The_God_of_Love_is_His_Own_Proof

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Swami Vivekananda says THE GOD OF LOVE IS HIS OWN PROOF
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »

Dear prasanth,

Yes.  There is also an Upanishadic quotation, which states:
One loves his wife for the sake of Atman within; the wife loves
her husband for the sake of Atman within her;  They love their
children for the sake of Atman within them.  The children love
their parents too for the same reason.  The Self /Atman is the
dearest to one and all.

Arunachala Siva.