Author Topic: ULLadu Narpadu - 144  (Read 1077 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
ULLadu Narpadu - 144
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:17:39 PM »

T.R. Kanakammal writes the following comments under ULLadu
Narpadu Verse 24:-  (abridged)

The perceived body does not have the nature of engaging itself
in activities with the awareness of the "I".  The Atman, the Perceiver, is ever still or immovable (achala) by nature, and there is no 'other' in Atman.  Hence It cannot engage in any activities whatsoever.

Something appears betwixt the body and Fullness, considering
the body as its limit and acting with a sense of doership.  This
has many names like Chit-Jada granthi, subtle body, ego, samsara,
bondage and mind.  All these refer only to the mind, the subtle body.  It is also called Jiva.

The mind is that which immediately on rising as 'I' creates many
appearances, ahandai (ego), says Bhagavan.  The ahandai, lives
relating the chit vastu to the body, and acquires the nature of 'I',
called Jiva bodha.  That which appears in a subtle form, within
the gross body, with seeming existence, is the subtle body, or
"nutpa mei" or sukshma sarira.  The ego, imagining itself to be related to totally unrelated things, thereby getting attached to,
and being whirled around in repeated cycles of births - is samsara.  The "eternally free" Chit Vastu appearing to be bound by the body is bondage, bhandam. 

If "I" is neither the Atman nor the body, what then is "I"?
Subsiding in sleep and rising as "I" on waking up, the Jiva bodha
(the individual awareness), the dehatma bhava (I am the body
notion) is that "I".

Purely an imaginary being, this Jiva is born out of the superimposition of the consciousness of Atman onto the body
and the blemishes of the body onto the Self.  Thus, the ego
partakes of the character of both the body and the Self.  It is both extensive and limited.  It is an intangible link between body and
pure Consciousness.  The Self is pure and not aware of any
'other' to say "I".

This knot chit-jada granthi, is unreal.  The Jiva is unreal.  Equally unreal are the creations of the Jiva or ego, like ignorance bondage etc., Other than this Jiva, there is no individual.  Individuality is the bondage, which when removed, the non dual Atman alone remains. It is the subtle body that is distinctive of each individual, persisting till the gain of Jnana.  Ego, or mind, is the main factor of the subtle body, which moves from one body to another, thus inextricably caught up in the wheel of transmigration, called samsara.

Cutting off the knot is too difficult to be accomplished by one's own effort.  Guru's grace alone can accomplish it.  Wisdom lies in the
sole reliance on the saving grace of the guru.  Bhagavan Ramana
completes the ULLadu Narpadu, with the words, ahandhai uru
azhithale mukti... The destruction of the ego is liberation.  All our efforts are only towards this, for which Guru's grace is essential.
All our devotion, along with simultaneous self enquiry is only to
obtain the guru's grace in large measure, by making us fitting
receivers for the same.

Arunachala Siva.