Author Topic: Question concerning the path of surrender  (Read 2324 times)

Japo

• View Profile
Question concerning the path of surrender
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:56:27 PM »
Sri Bhagavan said that self-enquiry and surrender are the only two ways for realization. Now, when people asked what should they do when doubts, fears and desires arise, Sri Bhagavan replied "see who is it that all these arise to". These were (I assume) people who were on the path of jnana. But how should one who is taking the path of surrender proceed when doubts, fears and desires arise.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:08:20 PM by Japo »

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Question concerning the path of surrender
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:47:47 PM »
Japo Garu,

Throw all burden on God and be happy.

Bhagavan ramana clearly tells us in 'Nan Yaar PARAGRAPH THIRTEEN'

Being completely absorbed in atma-nishtha [self-abidance, the state of just being as we really are],giving not even the slightest room to the rising of any thought other than atma-chintana selfcontemplation,the 'thought' of our own real self], is giving ourself to God. Even though we place whatever amount of burden upon God, that entire amount he will bear. Since one paramesvara sakti [supreme power of God] is driving all activities [that is, since it is causing and controlling everything that happens in this world], why should we always think, 'it is necessary [for me] to act in this way; it is necessary [for me] to act in that way', instead of being [calm, peaceful and happy] having yielded [ourself together with our entire burden] to that [supreme controlling power]? Though we know that the train is carrying all the burdens, why should we who travel in it suffer by carrying our small luggage on our head instead of leaving it placed on that [train]?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:45:03 PM »

What Bhagavan said in Who am I? paragraph 13 and what
prasanth said in his post is the correct answer.

The surrender is a total process where the ego is killed.  In
Atma Vichara also, the ego is eventually killed.  Both are the
same.  Apparently, for many seekers, it would appear that surrender
is easy.  IT IS NOT SO.  Total surrender to god or guru which is
Self-surrender is the same as Atma Vichara and is not less difficult
than the other one.

Arunachala Siva.   

Japo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »
Thanks, I like these replies. I found a nice quote regarding this question.

"If one surrenders oneself there will be no one to ask questions or to be thought of."

(From Be as You Are)

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:35:21 AM »
as i see it surrender is not a path at all , it is a stepping off the path , stopping .
surrender is easy as it requires no effort . it is the following of paths with the expectation of getting somewhere or something that takes great effort . a path can be usefull in that after travelling what is believed to be a path that will give you something in the future you become dissillusioned and realize you will never find what you are searching for and in this there comes a surrender . following a  path is actually an avoidance of the fear of surrender that must be experienced to surrender . the ego does not have to be killed because truth includes even this . ego is simply the mind . in surrender the ego is still there but not identified with . there is only one real surrender ... the surrender to the truth of who you really are . it takes less than an instant to surrender , but the WILLINGNESS to bear the pain and experience the fear without supressing or expressing it, even when you are on a cross and god himself has forsaken you , is required .
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 01:17:23 AM »
Actually, or rather paradoxically, to Not Question is the only sadhana required to practice the path of Surrender

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 10:53:13 AM »

Dear Japo,

You say surrender is easy and requires no effort.  It is not correct.
The surrender, I mean, the total surrender, is as difficult as
self enquiry.  You again say, there is no need for effort.  But
to be in effort-free surrender, is difficult.  It requires all efforts
to be effortless.  The total surrender has to be achieved with efforts
to attain that state.  Because we are always thoughts-bound
and we make all sorts of efforts.  Partial surrender, which we always do, is somewhat easy.  But total surrender is not.

Arunachala Siva.