Author Topic: ULLadu Narpadu - 143  (Read 2107 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
ULLadu Narpadu - 143
« on: May 30, 2010, 02:42:02 PM »

In Verse 23, Bhagavan Ramana described the body, which says
"I" in the waking state but in deep sleep, it does not say "I".
So the body which is insentient is not the true "I". In Verse 24, Bhagavan Ramana describes the knot that binds the body and
the Truth.  It is known in various names - ego, knot, bondage,
subtle body, mind, realm of becoming and the individual.

Verse 24:- Bhagavan Ramana's Tamil Version:

Jada udal naan ennadu satchit udiyaadhu
Udal aLave naanondru udikkum - idaiyil idu
Chit jadak granti bandam jiva nutpa mei ahandhai
Icchamusara manm eN.

Verse 24:-  Ganapti Muni's Sanskrit Version:

Deho na jaanaati sato na janma
Deha-pramaano'nya udeti madhye |
Ahamkrti-granthi-vibandha-sukshma-
Sarira-cheto bhava-jiva naama ||

Verse 24:- Sri Lakshmana Sarma's Sanskrit Version:

Bruyannaahamiti svayam jadavapuh satyaa chitrinodiyaat
Tanmadhye tu vapuhpranamaanahamityaavirbhavet kinchana |
Etaddhyeva bhavenmano jadachitorgranthirbhavto' hankritih
Bandhah sukshmasarirametaduditam jivasya tattvam svyam ||

Comments:

The body does not know itself or anything else.  It is inert.
Being inert, it undergoes change, birth, decay and death.  The
ego however, has sentiency, therefore it is not the body.  The truth or existence is birthless (Verse 1), therefore deathless.  The ego however, has birth and death, therefore it is not the Turth.

Being different from the body and the Truth, it still has characteristics of both.  It cannot be found either in the body or the Truth, i.e. they are both free from ego.  At the same time, the ego can never be found outside the body.  In no object or being outside the body, do we have the "I" notion.  Now strangely we realize that the ego is neither in the body nor outside the body?  Where does one catch this undeniably existing entity?

This ego arises as though in between the sentient Truth and the inert body.  Since it has no independent existence, it takes the support of both.  For example, the sun and the water, there would be no reflection.  The reflection takes its illumination from the sun and its unsteadiness from the water. If I wanted to experience the reflection alone, nothing would come to mind. 

This ego parades under various names.  Every particular name that we have is his name alone.  For example, I am Subramanian, I am fat, I am an engineer, etc.,  Here are a few common names that we as egos share.

a.  Ahankara.  The notion of doership in every action.

b.  Granthi.  Knot.  As thought, it ties the inert body and the sentient Self together.  It thus sustains the chain of ignorance, desire and action, which are called the knots of the heart.

c. Vibandha - well bound/bondage.  It binds us to the body and  its limitations and to the objects of the world through then notion of 'my-ness'.  It alone is the cause of the bondage of birth and death.

d. Sukshma sarira - Subtle body.  It is not perceived by the senses like the gross body, therefore subtle.  It is perishable like sarira.

e. Chtah - mind.  bodha lakshana. It has the capacity to reflect the consciousness and know.  It is as though closer to consciousness
(Chit) than the body.

f. Bhavah - realm of becoming.  Its existence depends on becoming something.  So all the time, it prompts man into action to become.  I want to become a doctor.  I want to become good etc.,

g. Jiva - individuality.  It enlivens the body and the mind.  It always
maintains its identity or personality as "I".

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: ULLadu Narpadu - 143
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »
Does the ego create God also. Because in deep sleep there is no idea about God, Guru, temples or scriptures etc.etc. Is it right? As soon  as I wake up someday it is blank for few seconds. Then slowly the mind or ego starts functioning. Due to the age the deep sleep also vanishes some days.

Ramanaduli

Ramanaduli

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
That force or energy by which you are able to cognize that there is no idea about God, Guru, temples or scriptures etc,.. in sleep that effelgence by which you are able to cognize that when you wake up someday, you are blank for few seconds... and to whom the movement of mind or ego starts functioning, etc.. etc... That is the Self which is In All. And THAT by which you are now witnessing even this. That Effulgence is the Truth. Even to say that That effulgence is you would not be apt because, it is again happening in presence of effulgence itself.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 05:45:03 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »

Dear Ramanaduli,

Bhagavan Ramana says in Who am I? in answer to a question
of M. Sivaprakasam Pillai says:  What is Real is only Atma Swarupam
only.  The world, the Jivas and the Gods are only imaginations.
So all the gods, we describe as Siva, Vishnu and Brahma and others
are all mental imaginations.  The Effulgence or the Swarupam is the
only Real. But we have to go from duality to non dualtiy and so
the scriptures have described so many gods.  Muruganar says that
Sivam - not Siva is the Self, the Awareness.  But in actual practice,
we are praying to all sorts of gods.  All are mental imaginations
or ego's sprouts only.   Bhagavan Ramana said this when He was
just 21.  He must be a great revolutionary in that sense.

Arunachala Siva.   

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 10:05:52 PM »
that was a wonderfull discussion so far....

I guess that bhagawan is taking care of this forum very well,
in all replies and answers lies his effulgence...

it is radiating from my screen  ....maybe Iam nuts :D

much love
matthias

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »
Yes. He only inspired to start this forum for the seekers like me. Slowly my mind gets quiented after reading Bhagavan's teachings. I came from a very traditional family where I cannot practice anything as my elders were
practicing. Day and I night I used to think what it happen to me for not practicing rituals. After coming to this
forum and reading senior members like Mr. Raju, Mr. Udai and Subramaniyan's post I could understand little bit.
Now a days I feel little happy. Long time ago I read Udai ji's post where he told nothing can touch us because we are  self which is ever shining.All the traditional practices only helping to clean up our mind but it never can show the self. Still I got lots of soldiers who are coming out daily. Once again I thank all the members who are giving guidence through their posts.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 10:34:08 AM »
My dear matthias,

Thank you.  The Forum is really warming up, thanks to many
new participants.

My dear Ramanaduli,

Keep on pursuing the Self within.  Perseverance is the keyword.
Let a million thoughts come.  They will all be killed once you
kill them one by one.  Bhagavan Ramana's grace is always there.
Place faith in Him.

Arunachala Siva.