Author Topic: The daily miracle  (Read 1413 times)

• View Profile
The daily miracle
« on: May 27, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »
The 'me', the 'ego', the feeling: 'I am so and so or I am doing this or that' seems to be the essential factor in determining human activities. This sense of the 'I' can exist only in relation to something, as we know it. And this relationship changes according to the pleasure or pain involved in it.

The moment the ego experiences pain or conflict in a particular area of relationship, unable to dominate or to assert, he simply alters his association. Instead of worshipping god, he begins to worship power. And the power-seeking ego clings to any environment provided the power functions through him. If the latter is denied he rehabilitates himself to wield it in some other field through various means.

The fantastic trick that the ego plays upon himself is that he is willing to sacrifice; he is prepared even to die, on condition that he 'attends his own funeral'.

Nevertheless, the ego dies - in deep sleep - and all this activities are absored by that indescribable state. Bagavan very often points out to this daily incident. The noisy ego, merging into the deep slience of profound sleep has lost all his self-importance; he is not even consious of his own body. This could be the miracle of death.

The ego emerges then from  that deep sleep and with him, to him, reappears the world wherein he is ready to play his old game. This could be the miracle of birth.

This is the 'Daily Miracle experienced by all of us.

- Dr. M.B Bhaskaran

[MP, 1976, Jan -19/20]

• View Profile
Re: The daily miracle
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:06:56 AM »

Dear SLakshmi,

Yes.  The daily sleep for 6 hours or 8 hours or 10 hours is the gift
of God to living beings.  If one does not sleep, he will go mad.
Because the mind has to be kept in suspended animation at least
for some hours in a day.  One can fast for several days but one cannot help without sleep for several days.  Once Kunju Swami and another
devotee, wanted to do dhyana without sleep in a Cave in the Hill.
Bhagavan Ramana agreed.  They went and took some tea in intervals and WITHOUT SLEEPING, wanted to do akhanda dhyana.  They could not do it after a few days.  Kunju Swami came down to Bhagavan (near Mother's Samadhi) and met Bhagavan Ramana.  Bhagavan laughed at them and said:  "Enough of this akhanda dhyana. Tiruchuzhi dosais are ready in the kitchen and go and eat them and then sleep for some time.," 

Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman describes the sleep as daily
dipping into Swatma Tirtham, dipping into Atma, relinquishing
the mind at least temporarily for some hours.  This is absolutely
essential.  We should be with the Self, without being disturbed by
the mind at least for some hours on a day.  But Bhagavan Ramana
disapproved day-time sleep.  Only a Jnani can be in sleepless sleep even in daytime, dipping for ever in Swatma Tirtham.

Sombiyai summa sukam undu urangidil
Sol veru en gathi Arunachala!
                        - V.37 of Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Maalai.

This has got two meanings:

1. If You slumber in quiet repose enjoying the bliss, being, O,
Arunachala, tell me what other recourse I have?

2. If I slumber in quiet repose enjoying the bliss of Being, what
other moksha is there, tell me O Arunachala!

gathi - recourse, hope,
gathi - liberation, moksha.

Arunachala Siva.