Author Topic: ULLadu Narpadu - 118  (Read 1065 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
ULLadu Narpadu - 118
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:26:01 AM »

Muruganar covers in some verses in his Padamalai, the purport of
Verse 20 of ULLadu Narpadu:

Verse 2315:  That which has the right to be loved is one's Atma
Swarupam, the supremely blissful entity that is the state of God.

Verse 841:  The state of abiding as God is becoming clear while abiding in the Heart.  It is a state to which no activity of anykind
adheres.

Verse 945:  That which exists devoid of ego-consciousness, the beginningless delusion, is the true state of God.

Verse 2515:  The state of God should be attained by seeking within oneself with a one-pointed mind. 

Verse 1512:  If the mind is purified and fixed in the state of God, the life of the Jiva will attain total perfection.

Verse 684:  The unattainable state of God comes to be attained when there is the experience of Self-abidance.

Verse 1069:  Even though you may see wonderful visions of the gods, that are worthy of being adored, these visions you have obtained are actually of little importance.

(Translations by David Godman)

In this context, Talks No. 450 can be seen:

Question:  I once before told Bhagavan Ramana how I had a vision
of Siva, at about the time of my conversion to Hinduism.  A similar
experience recurred at Kutralam.  These visions are momentary.
But they are blissful.  I want to know how they might be made
permanent and continuous.  Without Siva, there is no life in what
I see around me.  I am so happy to think of him.  Please tell me
how his vision may be everlasting to me.

Bhagavan:  You speak of a vision of Siva. Vision is always of an
object.  That implies the existence of a subject.  The value fo the vision is the same as that of the seer.  That is to say, the nature of the vision is on the same plane as that of the seer.  Appearance implies disappearance also.  Whatever appear must also disappear.  A vision can never be eternal.  But Siva is eternal.

The Pratyaksha (vision) of Siva to the eye signifies the existence of the eyes to see.  The buddhi (intellect) lying behind the sight, the seer behind the buddhi (intellect), and the sight.  And finally the consciousness underlying the seer.  This Pratyaksha (vision) is not as real as one imagines it to be, because it is not intimate and inherent.  It is not first hand.  It is the result of several successive phases of consciousness.  Of these, consciousness alone does not vary.  It is eternal.  It is Siva.  It is the Self.

The vision implies the seer.  The seer cannot deny the existence of the Self.  There is no moment when the Self as consciousness does not exist.  Nor can the seer remain apart from consciousness.  This consciousness is eternal being and the only being.  The seer cannot see himself.  Does he deny his existence because he cannot see himself, with the eyes as Pratyaksha (in vision)?  No!  So, Pratyaksha does not meen seeing but BEING.

"To be" is to realize.  Hence, "I am that I am", is Siva.   Nothing else can be without him.  Everything has its being in Siva and because of Siva.

Therefore, inquire "Who am I?" Sink deep within and abide as the Self.  That is Siva as Being.  Do not expect to have visions of him repeated.  What is the difference between the objects you see and Siva?  He is both the subject and object.  You cannot be without Siva.  Siva is always realized here and now.  If you think you have not realized him is wrong.  That is the obstacle for realizing Siva.
Give up that thought also and realization is there.

Verse 1144:  To completely abandon the illusory creations of the
ego-mind is the true vision of god, who transcends all concepts.

With this, let us move to Verse 21 and 22 which should be seen
together.

Arunachala Siva.