Author Topic: concerning buddhist meditation  (Read 1799 times)

• View Profile
concerning buddhist meditation
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »
I would like share a teaching that I recieved concerning meditation.

first dont be surprised in buddhist terminology conciousness is not the same like in vedanta. here it is part of hte skandhas, and as such part of the experience of samsara.

awereness holds the place of witnessing conciousness...I think you could say this.

conciousness is the ever moving part of the mind, you know it quiet good, you write something in the forum, suddenly you hear a noise, your conciousness follows it, and after some time comes back, then you get disturbed by thirst, you get up and get a glass of water etc...its always moving...

so conciocusness is the skandha wich interacts with the world of hte senses, thoughts, feelings etc (the other skandhas), it is said htat the phenomena of samsara have a kind of shimmering quality, a clarity, the conicousness sees that and graps it. So it moves about between following a thought, feeling a sensation in the body etc. this is the naural movement of the mind, its a given thing...

in vipassana meditation for example you start with following your breath, when youre attention wanders oyu bring it back...when the attention is fixed, then you move up to the fontanel of the head and start to scan your body, from head to toes, very slowly, and from toes again to the head....

you recognize all sensations, maybe name it very briefly and move on like: "ears are stitching" etc.

besides this you try to catch conciousness in hte prosess of creating a sense of self, of personality out of the sensations...

so there is the experience (wich is direct, always fresh) and then there is conciousness saying "thats my experience". in vipassana you try to recognize this process between, direct experience and "that is my experience"

that would be to see the natural movement of conciousness, and at the same time triing to focus on the creating of a fixed or solid persona, wich owns and is created out of a chain of "experiences"..

in dzogchen meditation it is about resting as awereness.

awereness is always fresh, has infinit potential to manifest, is patient with all that arises, is in peace with all that arises, it is not increased from a possitive experience and it does not decline in a negative experience..

when you sit down to rest as awereness then conciousness will play its tricks, its natural.

if you now set out to stop conciousness doing its work, then who does this? awereness is non-active...

so thoughts arise, conciousess clings to them because they are very shiny...and you follow this thoughts you expereince yourself not as awereness but as conciousness, beeing one with the thoughts, beeing made of them, beeing in constatnt movement and thinking this to be real and that there is a fixed persona in the process...

what to do?

if you do something against it, then you would work with conciousness.
you have to recollect yourself, feeling and touching the immidiacy of hte experience again, seeing clearly "Iam following thoughts, Iam wandering and Iam lost in samsara" and this recognition brings you back to awereness, wich is the witness of conciousness...

conciousness in a way happens in awereness...awereness is the space that contains all skandhas

may it be virtous

• View Profile
Re: concerning buddhist meditation
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 03:03:13 PM »

Dear matthias,

Excellent description of Buddhist meditation.  Even some writers
on Bhagavan Ramana's direct path, have said that the word Awareness, is the more appropriate word, than consciousness.
Consciousness is normally equated to being "conscious or aware of
the external happenings."  Awareness, these writers say, would
mean the Self-Consciousness or Being.

Arunachala Siva. 

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »
Thank you for the simple explanation.
The practice must be difficult , i guess.
The benefit of control of the mind is immense .
Swami Vivekanda stated that 'when the mind is concentrated and turned back on itself , all within us will be our servants and not masters'.
to do this we need to go beyond the sense world.
Can you let us know what tips are offered in this process.
Nama Sivayya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:12:33 PM »
dear Hariharaputra

Iam not in the possition to give you instructions concerning meditation...all I wrote is what I kept in my mind from the last dharma teachings I it didnt originated from my realisation or meditational practice.
anyway it inspired myself, so I thought it might be inspiring to others as well..

having said this I will try to answer from what I know(conceptually):

to go beyond the senseworld you have to go through the sense world, (the skandhas in buddhism, one of them is conicousness).

so the skandhas are natural, they are given, you cannot avoid them, if oyu try to avoid them you work with conciousness not with awereness...awereness does not and cannot avoid is always close to what is happening, but it is at the same time not touched by what is happening.

maybe this helped?

may it be virtous

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 01:11:43 AM »
a better word for consciousness in this might be "attention" , because what you are describing is attention of the mind . consciousness and awareness would be the same here , the unchanging true nature of the self . its not really about going beyond or anywhere , but realizing what is always here . yes, all things come and go IN awareness . this is why no thing can touch or change awareness , because no thing is separate from it .

i too hope this helps .
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »
dear beloved abstract

conciousness is the term the translators choosed for I did not choose it, and I also dont think that attention is a better word for it..they'll know what to do

and as I said in the buddhist context it is translated in this way, in the translation of vedanta it is translated int he way you present it "awereness" nad "conciousness" beeing words for the same unchanging reality....I wrote it right before I started my summary....

please dont bring me in a position where I have to change the whole english buddhist kanon, it would be a terrible work :D

the rest of your reply is the truth indeed ;)

I found this problem was allready present in some translations and graham posted something about this here: