Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi Answers Why He Does Not Touch Money  (Read 3981 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Ramana Maharshi Answers Why He Does Not Touch Money
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:17:59 AM »
15th November, 1936

SPARKS FROM THE ANVIL — I

Talk 281.

A certain man, who claims to have been Sri Maharshi’s quondam disciple, has filed a suit in the court praying for a declaration that he
is the legitimate Sarvadhikari of the Asramam.

Sri Maharshi was examined on Commission. There was a crowd but the proceedings went on smoothly in the room on the North East.

The following are a few titbits therefrom: Sri Bhagavan’s answers were quite spontaneous and smooth.

Q.: You do not touch money nor other offerings, I trust.

M.: People sometimes place fruits in my hands. I touch them.

Q.: If you receive one kind of offering, why should you not receive money also?

M.: I cannot eat money. What shall I do with it? Why should I take that with which I do not know what to do?

A lawyer devotee asked Sri Bhagavan if the previous day’s examination by Commission caused much strain.

M.: I did not use my mind and so there was no strain. Let them examine me for a thousand days. I don’t mind.

Sources:

1) TALKS WITH SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI Book
2) Arunachala's Ramana Volume III Book

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Maharshi Answers Why He Does Not Touch Money
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »

1. Bhagavan Ramana never touched money after He came to
Tiruvannamalai.  He had touched the money in Madurai and brought
Rs 3 to come to Tiruvannamalai.  He bought His train tickets twice
and then bought also a country apple.  That is all.  When Muthukrishna Bhagavatar gave some money in Kilur, after pledging the ear stud,
He took it for His further train expenses.  Near the Ayyankulam Tank, where He changed over to codpiece, He threw away the money,
the remnants of the dhoti and the sweetmeat packets given at Kilur by the sister of Bhagavatar.

2.  He also discouraged Sarvadikari seeking donations from others
for the construction of Mother's Temple.  Money came in small lots without seeking, and it took more than two decades for complete
the construction.

Sri Ramakrishna had said that if he touched the money, his body
was burning.  Bhagavan Ramana did not make any such statement.  However, both resented money.

Arunachala Siva.