Author Topic: ULLadu Narpadu - 95  (Read 1133 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
ULLadu Narpadu - 95
« on: May 15, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »

I had to stop the Kovil Tirupadigam, Verse 10, in the middle,
because the unscheduled power cut came as destiny and I could
not foresee that.

Saint Manikkavachagar says in Kovil Tirupadigam Verse 12, which
is an extremely elegant way of indicating the para bhakti or supreme
devotion which is total surrender which is Jnana.

What You have given is Yourself.
What You took in exchange, O Sankara, is me.
Who is wiser of us two?
What I have gained is Bliss that has no end.
What single thing have You obtained from me?
O Lord who made my mind Your shrine!
Hail! Siva, dwelling in Holy Tiruperundurai!
For Your taking up residence in my body,
I cannot, my Father, God,
Offer you any fitting recompense.

(Tr. by David Godman.  Readers often find the town Tiruperundurai in Manikkavachagar's songs.  This town has got an ancient Siva temple, and is in Pudukottai District, Tamil Nadu. This is where the saint
"saw" Siva and built the temple, using the money given by the King
Pandya for buying horses!)

This emphasizes the little known truth that supreme devotion
(para bhakti) and Jnana arise at the same time.

Verse 478 of GVK: The surrender of the Jiva is the loss of individuality in the divine feet of God, through the cessation of the ego-consciousness which is that Jiva's form.  This is accompanied by
the strength of mind that meditates on the incomparable feet of God.  when you study the matter, (you discover this) is the fruit of
devotion practiced in diverse ways over many lives.

Verse 479:  Banish the sense of separateness that cannot exist
distinct from God, who remains as all there is.  Only the surrender
of the ego-self, the wicked perpetrator of deception, is the hallmark of supreme devotion (Para Bhakti) where in Peace shines.

Meditation on Space:-

Verse 743:  Meditation on the vast undivided Space that has the greatness of not being amenable to analysis will easily enable you
to attain, in the way that you desire, all the great powers that you could wish for. 

Verse 744:  However, only those who, after meditating on the vast space, have extricated themselves from that idea of "undivided space", will have attained the supreme eminence of not being embodied.  The others will be caught in the ignominy of unceasing
birth.

Verse 745:  This you should know.  To say that someone who extensively practiced faultless Self abidance in the Heart, by clinging to the Self, the God, whose very nature is consciousness, became confused, mad and ruined in just like saying that SOMEONE DIED BY DRINKING IMMORTALIZING AMBROSIA.

{In Padamalai Verse it is mentioned:  Bhagavan said:  How can
the mind go insane or lose its powers on the path of Vichara that leads to the clarification of the consciousness and the attainment of tranquility?}

Meditation on Time:

Verse 746:  If you want to attain the eternal glory of deathlessness
that is devoid of the ignominy of death and birth, the proper means
is to meditate solely and wholly on the "now", which is without even
a trace of the motions of coming and going.

(Read here Bhagavan's words in Day by Day entry dated 3rd Jan.
1946 and also Guru Ramana, S.S. Cohen, page 44.)

Verse 747: Only those who, after seeing time as themselves, then
abandon that vision completely are the Jnanis who have gained immortality upon this earth.  All others will fall under the eroding
saw of time and perish.

ULLadu Narpadu Verse 16, begins "When we investigate, where is time and where is space apart from ourselves?"

While the mind exists, time one of its creations, will also exist.
Those who have understood this by successfully pursuing self enquiry are the Jnanis who have transcended time.  Everyone else is time
bound.  That is, time will swallow them.  Such people will be born in time, and will die in time.     

Verse 748: Those who are firmly anchored in the state of the Self will see only the Self, and no such thing as time.  Much less will they see the one principle that apparently ripens into time as three different times.

(See also Talks, Talk No. 625.)

With this, we shall close the comments on Verses 14,15 and 16 of
ULLadu Narpadu.

Arunachala Siva.