Author Topic: Aksharamanimalai the best way to practice?  (Read 2006 times)

srkudai

Aksharamanimalai the best way to practice?
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »
I was reading Sri Subramanian's explanation where he says that Aksharamanimalai is a combination of jnana and bhakti ... and that makes me think ... perhaps then, that is the best practice. coz what is needed more than bhakti and jnana together ?
one prepares the mind and other gives the darshan!!

Love!
Silence

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Aksharamanimalai the best way to practice?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Yes.  Very true.  Bhagavan Ramana has said about two works,
the mere reading of which would take you to the path of Jnana
marga.  One is ofcourse, Ribhu Gita., which is somewhat difficult
to understand.  The other is Akshara Mana Maalai, which is definitely
easier to understand. It begins with the maha mantra, Arunachala
Siva.  Muruganar has written a detailed commentary on AAMM, though apparently it is easy to understand, it contains a lot of
inner meanings.

For example 37:

i)  Lazily, if I eat always and simply sleep, what is the way out
for me, O Arunachala!

ii) Lazily, if I consume the Atma Sukam and simply sleep (sleepless sleep of Jnanis), is it not the goal of self realization, O Arunachala!

Sukam undu - nicely eating and sleeping always.

Sukam undu - Consuming the bliss of Atma and sleeping a sleepless sleep!

Sukam Undu - eating nicely.
Sukam undu - consuming the Sukam, the Bliss of the Self!

A Revelation indeed!

Arunachala Siva.   

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:46:13 PM »
Looking out my door to the north, sixty-year-old banyan trees lay out their branches and drop their swaying vines. These trees border the new ten-foot wall running east and west along the northern border of the ashram. Only one step beyond the wall the hill begins its 2600 foot ascent. As my room was at the end of the line of rooms, I had the good fortune of having a side, or west window. Looking out this window I could see straight into the door of the cottage built by A. Devaraja Mudaliar in 1940. Residing in this cottage, which is one of the older buildings of the ashram, is the oldest devotee of the Maharshi - Ramaswami Pallai at the age of ninety-seven. Gazing out my window into that room I usually would see this old, sturdy, resolute devotee sitting quietly in an easy chair.

He first came to Tiruvannamalai and visited the Maharshi as a teenager in 1911. After this, he attended college in Madras and settled down permanently with Bhagavan in 1922.

At the advanced age of ninety-seven, he is free from both mental and physical troubles. He can still walk a little, speak fluent English, and will at least once a day - usually during the middle of the night - burst out with recitations and songs composed by Bhagavan or in praise of him. His room is almost completely bare: not one book, no chest of clothes or paraphernalia. What he has gained by his seventy-year association with the Sage of Arunachala is secretly locked up in the interior of his heart chamber.

I would sometimes go and sit in his room. He would welcome me and readily speak of the efficacy of the practice of Self-enquiry. With short, direct and forceful sentences he would enliven my determination and fan the fire of devotion.

For about two weeks during my visit he was suffering from a bad cold. I would hear him coughing during the night and trying to sing with a gruff voice. Earlier, someone had given me a small quantity of ginger powder, mentioning that Bhagavan often prescribed it for colds. I passed this powder over to Ramaswami Pallai and asked him to use it in his tea or coffee. I told a friend of mine about Ramaswami Pallai's bad cold. This friend, who has known him for many years, went to his room and inquired about his health. In his old age, Ramaswami Pallai's hearing has faltered, so anyone speaking to him has to speak loud and clear. I heard the following 'loud and clear' conversation of my friend with Ramaswami Pallai:

Friend: How are you Swami?

R. P.: Oh, I am fine, by Sri Bhagavan's grace.

Friend: But your voice sounds like you have a cold or something.

R. P.: No. I am quite all right.

Friend: But Swami, someone told me you are having a bad cold and you are not well.

R. P.: Who told you that? I am quite fine! There is nothing wrong with me!

It must be this stubborn indifference to his body and physical wants that has resulted in his contentment, peace and long life. It was a stubborn determination that brought him here seventy years ago on the day of his marriage. His father had forced him into submitting to the marriage proposal, but he fled.

One day sitting beside him in his small room he turned and intently looked at me - mostly with his right eye, as the other is failing him - and asked, "Do you repeat it?"

Me: Repeat what?

R. P.: The Prayer. Do you constantly repeat it? You have to constantly repeat it.

Me: What prayer?

R.P.: Akshara Mana Malai, the 108 verses Bhagavan wrote on Arunachala. This itself is a powerful mantra.

He was not just talking theory to me that day. In earlier years I would hear him sing this Tamil hymn over and over again for hours. And this, to the displeasure of some visitors and residents, would often go on in the middle of the night. But others within hearing range would welcome this nightly outpouring of devotion, taking it as a reminder that night and day we have to keep up the remembrance of God and abide in Him. Ramaswami Pallai occupies a permanent place in the history of Ramanasramam and the Maharshi's disciples.

- Dennis J Hartel

[Source: http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/1994/?pg=jan-feb]

Joey_

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 12:37:20 AM »
ii) Lazily, if I consume the Atma Sukam and simply sleep (sleepless sleep of Jnanis), is it not the goal of self realization, O Arunachala!
What is Atma Sukam? Is this found in the book "Collected works of Sri Ramana Maharshi"?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »

Dear Joey,

Atma Sukam can be translated in many ways in English, but nothing can really bring out the correct meaning and understanding.

For example, Osborne has translated this as "Peaceful repose enjoyed
while resting in the Self", in the Collected Works.  What is peaceful
repose?  It is said by Bhagavan Ramana, in some other context,
as "sleepless sleep".  It is a state where you are in Bliss, but
consciously, unlike sleep.

The translation given by me is from Prof. K. Swaminathan's book.

T.R. Kanakammal has translated this verse as, "the state of deep
with full awareness, devoid of ego."

One can keep any translation that suits him, but it is a fact that
it is indescribable.

Arunachala Siva.