Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi Devotee Chakkubai Srinivasan recalls her Sister Experiences  (Read 1810 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
My father Srinivasa Iyer was a lawyer in the High Court. My mother passed away when I was very young. My father left my younger sister, Shantabai, with his sister-in-law Azhagulakshmi who was settled in Tiruvannamalai. When my sister was four years old she was afflicted with polio. My father took her to Madras and put her under the care of an expert Ayurvedic doctor who treated her for six months. After this she was able to walk aided by a specially designed brace.

My aunt and my father took Shantabai to Bhagavan and tearfully told Bhagavan that thereafter the child was his and that he should look after her. At that time she was just four. Bhagavan blessed her and told my father not to worry about her future, that she would marry at the age of eighteen and prosper in life. Although these comforting words of Bhagavan soothed my father yet he had his doubts.

My sister was again left with my aunt at Tiruvannamalai. She would visit Bhagavan daily and play there.

Once there was a cry from the garden and Bhagavan said, "It is Shantabai's voice," and sent someone to fetch her. My sister was reeling with pain. She came to Bhagavan crying and said that a bee had stung her hand. Bhagavan took her hand and caressed it. Immediately the pain of the sting vanished.

Being innocent the child told Bhagavan, "Why did you make me cry so long? If you had wanted it you could have stopped it then and there." My Aunt who was there at the time was shocked at the audacity of my sister's complaint. However, Bhagavan smilingly asked what she had done to the bee before it stung her? She said that she was pelting stones at the mangoes and one of the stones disturbed the bee. Bhagavan smilingly said to her, "You see, the stone you threw hurt the bee and so it stung you. So hereafter never harm anyone." Young as she was she understood what Bhagavan meant and thereafter never hurt any living being. Later, whenever she recalled this incident, she felt grateful to Bhagavan for giving her this lesson on non-violence.

Later on, as Bhagavan predicted, when Shantabai turned eighteen a boy came from Trichy and after seeing her insisted that he would marry only this girl. The marriage went off well and her husband was very kind to her. She felt that it was all due to Bhagavan's blessing.

Once when my sister was about nine she was in Madras. Suddenly she started crying and came and told my father, "Father! Bhagavan appeared to me and took leave of me, saying, `Child! I am leaving the world but I will always be with you. So do not worry'." Hearing this my father slapped her for uttering these inauspicious words. But my sister kept on sobbing and refused to have her dinner at night.

Early in the morning my father opened the newspaper and there the Mahasamadhi of Bhagavan was reported. Only then did my father realise the purport of my sister's words and realising that she had the blessings of Bhagavan he never scolded her again.

Source: http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/2007/?pg=may-jun#article.5

Subramanian.R

• View Profile

Dear prasanth,

Childhood is the age of innocence, where the child had still not
transferred the mud of this world on to its head.  With a good
prarabdha, such a child comes to the presence of a guru or develop
ardent devotion to godhead.  They become blessed with liberation
as a prize.  Dhuruva and Prahlada came to realize Narayana with
such great devotion, right from their young age.

In Bhagavan Ramana's life also we have such gifted children.
Of course, I do know no the story of Shantabai.  But there was
one Rajammal who went to the Hill and played with Bhagavan
right from her young age.  Then there were two girl children of
G.V. Subbaramaiah, Lalita and Indra.  Indra was given the upadesa
of Deham, Naham, Koham, Soham in her young age.  She attained
liberation in a few years, after a brief fever, during which she had
chanted this mantra.

Arunachala Siva.