Author Topic: Personal Habits Of Ramana Maharshi Noticed By N. R. Krishnamurthy Aiyer  (Read 3561 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
1) personal cleanliness

2) tidiness of dress

3) habitual wearing of vibhuti and kumkum on the forehead;

4) equal sharing of all enjoyments with those around him;

5) strict adherence to a time schedule;

6) performing useful work however ‘low’ it be;

7) never leaving a work unfinished;

8) the pursuit of perfection in every action;

9) incessant activity except while sleeping or resting after a spell of hard work;

10) never considering oneself superior to others;

11) speaking the truth always, or strict silence if the expression of a truth would hurt or lower the reputation of others;

12) perfect self-help;

13) never asking another to do a piece of work which can be done by oneself;

14) taking full responsibility for failure, if any, without shifting the blame on others;

15) accepting success and failure with equanimity;

16) never disturbing the peace of others;

17) leaving the leaf or plate clean after eating;

18) complete noninterference in the affairs of others;

19) never worrying about the future.

These are the lessons Sri Ramana taught by example to his devotees. We should try to follow the example of the Maharshi with all the strength of the body, mind and spirit.

Of what the Maharshi taught in the realm of spirit, words fail and I dare not write. Moments Remembered, page 72

Source: http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/2004/?pg=sep-oct

Subramanian.R

• View Profile

Sri N.R. Krishanmurty Iyer was from Madurai.  He came to see
Bhagavan Ramana often when he was young.  Later he went to
college and slowly forgot the greatness of Bhagavan and even
spoke ill of Him, since He was not quite active in any social work,
particularly when that was the time of freedom movement.  Once
he had some work in Tiruvannamalai.  He went to T.K. Sundaresa
Iyer's house.  Since it was a festival time, he found the house full
of people and did not want to stay there.  He told Sundaresa Iyer
about it.  Iyer suggested that he could stay in the Asramam.  NRK
was reluctant.  Iyer pursued.  NRK said:  I shall go there.  But I
shall not do any namaskaram for your Bhagavan.  Iyer said that
He did not want any thing from him.  Both went.  Bhagavan
Ramana was sitting on a wooden chair near the Iluppai Tree.
(which one can see even today.  The tree is more than 100 years
old.)   

As soon as NRK and Iyer went in, NRK fell like a stick and did
namaskaram to Bhagavan Ramana, even earlier than Iyer!
Many miracles happened subsequently in the Asrmam for NRK.

Please go through Fragrant Petals for details.

Arunachala Siva.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
seriously such gems prasanthji. Your postings daily on bhagavan and subramaniam sir's replies make us so happy! I log on, read and feel so blessed that we are able to share so much about bhagavan everyday of our lives!! Many Thanks !

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear I,

Thank you for this WONDERFUL post. This post is "Pokkisham" (Tamil) "Treasure". I am going to make myself a wonderful copy this post and laminate it with Ramana picture beside the points and hang it in my room and "I" am going to make it a habbit to read it everyday and try and put it into practice.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile

There was one Suppiah Thevar in Madurai.  N.R. Krishnamurty Iyer
gives this man's reminiscences about young Venkataraman [Bhagavan
Ramana] in Sri Ramana Smrti.

Suppiah Thevar was employed in a fire wood depot.  He also conducted
during the cool hours of the mornings, and evenings, a physical training school in which young men had training in Silambam - a game which is played with a thick bamboo quarter stick - it is a fight as well as a play.  Strength of body and muscle were also developed by physical training in the school.  Suppiah Thevar was a master in the
field of Silambam.

The venue of the activities, fixed well in advance, would be either
the sandy river bed of the Vaigai or the Pillaiyarplayam Kanmoi [rainfed tank] close to Aruppukottai Road, on the outskirts of Madurai.

Every member of the group, would while passing the house of young Venkataraman, leave a pebble at the door step.  Nagasami and young Ramana, as leaders of the group, would be the last to sally forth from the house, after a check of the pebbles showed that all their friends had gone to the place of meeting.  There was rarely a defaulter.  Ramana and His playmates had a jolly time playing games on the sandy bed of the Vaigai River on engaging in swimming contests in the Pillaiyarpalayam Tank.  They would return sufficiently early to their beds without exciting the least suspicion of their absence from home.

This Suppiah Thevar became a staunch Ramana devotee after Bhagavan's arrival in Tiruvannamalai and when His name and fame started spreading. N.R. Krishnamurty Iyer sought out Sri Ramana's boyhood friends in Madurai from 1931 onwards.  There were Vilacheri Mani and his brother Ranga Iyer, Venkakaramana Iyer, Suppiah Thevar and Narayanaswami.  This group were celebrating Sri Ramana's Jayanti with great eclat.

[Souce: Sri Ramana Smrti, the Power of the Presence, Volume 1, Ed. David Godman.]

Arunachala Siva.