Author Topic: A Tribute to Ramana Maharshi disciple K. Venkataraman  (Read 1230 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
A Tribute to Ramana Maharshi disciple K. Venkataraman
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:54:10 AM »
K. VENKATARAMAN, endearingly addressed as K. V. Mama by those in Sri Ramanasramam, suddenly expired at 2:45 a.m. on November 23. He was 70-years-old and the only child of Chellamma, who was the adopted daughter of Echammal.

K. V. Mama was no less surrendered and no less blessed. His mother died when he was only an infant, and it was her dying wish that he should be raised by Echammal in Tiruvannamalai. Echammal, whose life in the world was a succession of tragedies, went and brought the motherless child directly to Bhagavan and placed the boy in his hands. "On seeing the babe, tears trickled from my eyes," Bhagavan later said, recalling the occasion.

The Maharshi looked after that child and protected him from harm. To illustrate this we need only relate the following story told to us by K. V. Mama: "Once when I was a young boy, a friend and I were in the Arunachala Temple. As it was very hot we went to the tank in the temple and began splashing and playing in the water. I inadvertently went into the water over my head and began sinking. I came to the surface a few times but was unable to stay afloat. My friend got scared seeing me in distress and ran off. Just before I went under for the last time I remember distinctly seeing Bhagavan's face, and then everything went blank - I became unconscious.

When I later regained consciousness I found that I was lying on a step just near the tank. I asked someone nearby how I got out of the water. I was told that an old man had come and pulled me out, laid me down on the step and then went away. Somehow I survived the ordeal. After nearly drowning, I went to the ashram and sat in the hall without telling anyone what had just happened. Bhagavan turned in my direction and said with a gentle smile on his lips, "Did you have a nice swim?" I put my head down, as I felt extremely guilty and thought that everyone was watching me. Who else was it than Bhagavan who saved me?"

Source: http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/1995/?pg=jan-feb