Author Topic: Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi's Simplicity in Food Habits  (Read 1681 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi's Simplicity in Food Habits
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
6th March, 1949

When Bhagavan was living in Skandasramam, on a Dipavali day, devotees from the town came early morning and offered him sweetmeats such as laddoos, jilebis etc. It was about 8 a.m. The Asramites who had by then finished their oil bath, took the sweets from the devotees, sent them away after giving them prasadam, and were about to eat them, when another devotee, an old woman, came with a meal of millet boiled in water, and placed it before Bhagavan. She had lost her husband when quite young and was living in a mutt with the help of her brother.

She was giving gruel (kanji) to the poor and to Sadhus. Even when Bhagavan was living in Virupaksha Cave, she was now and then bringing cooked ragi for him. One day he told her that ragi makes for chilliness in the body, and it should therefore be mixed with some ground wheat like suji. From that day onwards she prepared ragi meal accordingly and gave it to Bhagavan. On this festival day, therefore, she prepared the food and brought it to the Ashram like all the others.

Thereupon, Bhagavan took the food, put it in a widemouthed vessel, added water, dry ginger, salt and lime juice and mixed it all together.

Telling the people who were serving food that they might eat the laddoos, jilebis, etc., he ate that mixture himself with great relish.

The devotees said, “When there are nice preparations available why are you filling your stomach with ordinary food? How unfair!”

Bhagavan said,“What is unfair? Like all the other items, this food also has been received. What am I to do? Do you want me to throw it away?”

The devotees replied, “Why throw it away? If all of us eat a little, it will be finished. Should Bhagavan alone eat it?”

Bhagavan: “Well said! But when there are such nice things available, who would care to eat this? People would feel disgusted that on a festival day they had to eat such food. Why trouble others?”

Devotee: “If not now, we can eat it in the afternoon.Why not keep it over?”

Bhagavan: “Will it not be spoiled if kept over for sometime? But the sweets will not be spoiled, if kept over,and people will eat them without needing any persuasion.They will merely open the almirah and take them, while this, if kept over, will stay where it is. That is why I have decided to take it myself. When she has brought it with such great devotion, could we throw it away?”

It seems Bhagavan ate the whole thing himself. Who knows how often such things happened in the Ashram?

Sources:

1) Letters from Sri Ramanasramam VOLUMES I, II & Letters from and Recollections of Sri Ramanasramam By SURI NAGAMMA Translated by D. S. SASTRI
2) Arunachal's Ramana Volume 1 Book

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi's Simplicity in Food Habits
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:49:31 PM »
Once after 1922, when Bhagavan came to the foothills near Mother's
Samadhi and there were always about 10 to 20 devotees with Him,
one lady prepared bhiksha and brought the items to the Asramam
for feeding them.  Imagine, sweets, savouries, rice, sambhar, papads,
good curries (2 or 3 varieties), rasam, good curds and pickels all
made up to 32 items!

She nicely spread out plantain leaves and started serving the
32 dish food.  When the serving was over, Bhagavan mixed everything in one or two large lumps and ate them.  "There are 32 items. Bhagavan!  Can you not taste them individually and relish them?", said the lady.

Bhagavan Ramana said:  "For you all, there are different tastes.
I have no taste.  All that I eat is only to satisfy my hunger two
or three times a day.  That is all."

Arunachala Siva. 

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
yes i was surprised when i read his eating habits for the first time. i was so impressed and my devotion increased seeing his non-attachment.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:11:15 PM »
Once while Bhagavan was in Virupaksha Cave, there was only some
broken rice available.  There were only a few devotees, and there
was Ramanatha Brahmachari.  Bhagavan Ramana said that they
could boil the broken rice and take rice gruel duly shared.  At that
time, Ramanatha brought one half of a broken coconut, after visiting
the temple. Bhagavan said:  Oh! Coconut is available. Let us desciate
it and mix it with the grue.  They did it.  But there was no salt available.  Bhagavan said:  What is there?  Let us drink it with out salt.  It was late in the evening.  It was raining cats and dogs.  In
that torrential rain, some boys came to Virupaksha Cave.  They were
students from Coimbatore and having known about Bhagavan Ramana, they came to see Him.  They had brought good plantains, and sugar crystals as offering. 

Bhagavan spoke to them kindly and blessed them.  Then they
left.  He then said to Ramanatha Brahmachari:  "Ramanatha!
You were telling about salt.  Now sugar and plantains have come.
Cut the plantains and add to the gruel.  Add the sugar also.  We
shall have sweet porridge!

Arunachala took care of Him, and His devotees, at all times during
His 54 years of life in Tiruvannamalai.

Arunachala Siva.