Author Topic: When Devotee Robert Adams met Ramana Maharshi  (Read 8050 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
When Devotee Robert Adams met Ramana Maharshi
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:37:47 PM »
During the Fall of 1946, Robert Adams arrived by train to the town of Tiruvannamalai, a few miles from Arunachala Mountain, where lay Ramanashram and his future teacher, Ramana Maharshi. He took a bullock cart to the Ashram, was admitted, and stayed the night. Early the next day while walking back from the mountain, towards the Ashram, he spotted Ramana walking down the path towards him.

An electrifying energy coursed through his body, and the last of what men call an ego left him. He felt completely surrendered, completely open. As Ramana got closer, Robert stripped off his clothes, approached Ramana and dropped to his guru’s feet. Ramana reached down grabbing Robert by his shoulder, and looked into Robert’s eyes with complete love and said, "I have been waiting for you. Get up! Get up!" Robert said had Ramana asked him to leap over a cliff at that moment, he would have done so gladly.

Robert became different when he told this story. Most of the time he never talked about his past, and when he did, it was said more for entertainment than for teaching purposes. When he told this story he was sitting erect, almost standing out of his chair, and he looked outwards, above the crowd before him, almost as if he were seeing Ramana again. Tears came from his eyes as stated he would have jumped off the cliff for Ramana, and he added finally, "This is how you have to be, completely naked before God, completely surrendered!"

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: When Devotee Robert Adams met Ramana Maharshi
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »
Dear prasanth,

Robert Adams is one of the most illustrious devotees of Bhagavan
Ramana.  I think he was living in London thereafter and became
the President of Bhagavan Ramana Centre in UK.  There are some
articles by him/about him in David Godman's blog.

Arunachala Siva.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
Robert Adams was a great sage. Unfortunately by the time i began to learn about reality, he had already left the body however, there is a website devoted to him which contains rare recordings of satsang, his writings and also a great deal of background information. His explanation gave me a much deeper understanding and i am incredibly grateful to have heard his words as if i was sitting by his side at satsang. The site is called www.itisnotreal.com and i highly recommend it to those looking to learn more about Robert.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »

Recently a Robert Adams life has been made into a play by one
Matthew Brookes.  However, since a major portion of this was objected
to by Nicole Adams, Robert's widow, it has been withdrawn.  Nicole
Adams is writing an autobiography and perhaps this would help interested persons to make a play on Robert Adam's life.  [From
David Godman's recent post on Robert Adams].  For details, see
David's blog www.davidgodman. org

Arunachala Siva. 

Om Hridayam

• Love Ramana Love Ramana Love Ramana Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:57:09 PM »
Robert Adams impressed me greatly. I highly recommend his book "Silence of the heart".
I think he would be a good introduction to Advaita thought for westerners that may have a hard time with sanskrit words and complex terminology.
Robert takes the same ideas and finds ways of saying them very simply in terms that westerners can easily understand. He is also VERY clear that you cannot
just go around thinking that this knowledge allows you to behave badly and just write it off as "It's all an illusion so what does it matter"? ... a trap
that many recent so-called neo-Advaitin teachers seem to fall into. He displayed a high level of integrity that I don't see very often in modern teachers.

mai_chop_gohok

• View Profile
    • maichopgohok.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 04:06:38 AM »
in case someone is looking for the book : http://www.groops.de/osho-satsang/media/280171/download.pdf

Om Hridayam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:30:39 AM »
That's not the book "Silence Of The Heart".
That's the screenplay that was taken down.

mai_chop_gohok

• View Profile
    • maichopgohok.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 02:34:30 PM »
exactly

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
I have read some previous writings from Ed Muzika about Nicole's problem with him using information and recordings of and about Robert. I wonder though, how does one go about getting copyright for truth?   ???
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 03:00:43 PM by Adam »

Om Hridayam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 10:13:34 PM »
Asking a question about "How can you copyright truth" that way is clearly stacking the deck.
It's like saying: They used the color blue on the cover... how can they copyright blue?
It's a complete non-issue.

You most certainly -can- get a copyright on your -specific- written or recorded work.
Robert asked his wife to protect his work, and now she is. How is this a problem?

Perhaps another question worth asking would be: Why is this a problem for Ed Muzika?
Why is he spending so much energy publicly disrespecting them?

If the material is copyrighted and this is the way Robert wanted his legacy set up, then why shouldn't Ed respect that?
It isn't Eds material.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:22:59 PM by Om Hridayam »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »

The Truth can never be copyrighted.  But the way in which Truth
is presented by a person, a scholar or a Jnani is a copy right.
Of course, these laws and regulations have come only in late
20th Century.  Otherwise, how can someone present the ideas
of Sri Sankara or a Zen Monk in his works?

Arunachala Siva.

amiatall

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »
I like Him, He said the "stone to death" Truth which many avoid saying, of course for a reason.

'you are not even this consciousness.'

Om Hridayam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 12:27:26 AM »
This is not just a quote, this is a film script "biography" of Robert's life written by someone who Robert's wife says really wasn't around to know what they were writing about.
Big difference than just quoting someone.

I'm wondering if a similar experience happened with Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi?

Isn't Bhagavan's material (Or sanctioned material about Bhagavan written by someone else) copyrighted?
If you wanted to write a book (Or a sceenplay) about Bhagavan wouldn't you get in touch with the center?
If they told you not to publish the material you had.... would you publicly throw a fit saying all kinds of derogatory things about them online?

...or for that matter has this already happened with Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi?