Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi kindness towards Cow Lakshmi  (Read 1782 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Ramana Maharshi kindness towards Cow Lakshmi
« on: April 24, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
One morning in the kitchen Bhagavan offers to help an elderly woman who is grinding with mortar and pestle ....

B: Are you grinding for idli?
Old Woman: Yes, Bhagavan.
B: The rice seems a little sticky. May I help? (Begins grinding.)
Old Woman: Bhagavan! What is this? You, grind for idli? Should we wear out your golden hands?
B: These are golden hands? These twig-like things? Besides, what if they do wear out?
Old Woman: Bhagavan! A thousand prostrations to you! But from now on you must not come near the kitchen at all!

At that moment Lakshmi enters the kitchen and bows her head at Bhagavan's feet. As Bhagavan embraces her, she passes urine and dung on the kitchen floor. An ashramite charges toward her and, not noticing Bhagavan there, makes as if to beat her.

Ashramite: (Shouting and still not see Bhagavan there) Unruly animal! Out ... out!

Bhagavan: (Indignant) Stop, I say! Why are you beating Lakshmi? (The ashrmaite is unnerved) Don't you know the dung of a cow is sacred? Don't we collect dung from the road for cleaning the front of the house? Likewise, the urine of a cow is said to be purifying, isn't it?

While speaking, Bhagavan bends over and begins scooping up the cow dung. Immediately several devotees rush forward to stop him.

Cooks: Bhagavan! Bhagavan! You don't have to do that. Why are we here?

Another cook: (To the Ashramite who was harsh with Lakshmi) What if Lakshmi has relieved herself? Did you have to be so stern?

Ashramite: Forgive me, Bhagavan! (Falls at Bhagavan's feet.)

Bhagavan leads Lakshmi out and the two of them make their way together up the trail toward the mountain. Meanwhile ....

Chinnaswami: You have distressed Bhagavan for no reason. You could have avoided being so rash.

Ashramite: (Quite in earnest) I am sorry. I acted out of haste. As compensation, let me clean the kitchen floor each day with Lakshmi's dung. Then I will once again fall at Bhagavan's feet and beg his pardon!

Chinnaswami: That's not necessary. Just calm yourself. Everything will be all right.

Source: From Sri Ramana, Friend of Animals: The Life of Lakshmi the Cow

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Maharshi kindness towards Cow Lakshmi
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »
Bhagavan Ramana stayed till the last moment, when Mother
Azhagamma was to be liberated, by quelling her mind into the
Self.  But in case of Cow Lakshmi, He did not stay till the end.
He caressed her for sometime and said:  "Be peaceful Amma, be
peaceful."

Later when Cow Lakshmi merged with Arunachala, someone asked
Bhagavan:  "Bhagavan! Unlike in the case of Mother Azhagmma,
why did you stand with Cow Lakshmi till the very end?"

Bhagavan Ramana said: "Yes, it is because Cow Lakshmi did not
have any vasanas troubling her till the end, whereas Amma had
gushing forth of vasanas till her very end."

Arunachala Siva.