Author Topic: Meenakshi (wife of Sri Muruganar) recalls her experiences  (Read 4182 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Meenakshi (wife of Sri Muruganar) recalls her experiences
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »
I was born the sixth daughter of Sri Periyakulam Krishna Iyer and Kanakammal on the fourth day of Panguni month, Saleevagna Sahabdha, 1823 (17-3-1902). My parents and elders called me Meenakshi. I was happy with my parents.

In the meantime, my father took sannyasa and became one of the leading devotees of Sri Ramana Bhagavan. (The father's name was Dandapani Swami). Later, my father went to Palani with Bhagavan's permission, constructed an ashram in South Giri Street, and lived there for some time. While he was there he came to our house in Rayapuram. During his visit, he gave a copy of Aksharamanamalai (The Marital Garland of Letters) to my husband. My husband went through them and after four days informed me that he was going to Thiruk kazhi Kunram. However, instead, he went straight to Tiruvannamalai.

When he saw Bhagavan, he felt that his whole body was burning. He wept and cried out complaining of a burning sensation without knowing what it was. The attendants around Bhagavan thought that he was mad. One attendant, Sri Ramakrishna Swami rubbed lemon juice on his head and poured pots of water over him. He stayed there for several days doing tapas and having Bhagavan's darshan. Then he returned to Madras and his job, but he had little interest in his work.

Then he began to go to Tiruvannamalai on all Saturdays and Sundays for one year. After my mother-in-Iaw's first annual ceremony, and without informing me, he resigned his job and went to Ramanathapuram. My neighbours telegrammed to my brother about my problem and he came to see me. Both of us went to the school and met the headmistress who was an English lady She said that he had resigned his job and left. I began to weep and she consoled me by saying that God would help me.

Then I went to Ramanathapuram with my brother and Muruganar came to visit us the night we arrived. I held his feet and wept. I requested him to point out my faults if any that made him leave me alone. He gave me no reply. Then I went to Raghava Iyengar, a great Tamil scholar in the town and told him about my troubles. Raghava talked to my husband but his words had no effect.

Meenakshi's father, Dandapani Swami was a permanent inmate of the Sri Ramanasramam. Her father presented her husband, Sri Muruganar a copy of the Aksharamanamalai sometime after her marriage.

A few days later, Sri Muruganar left home permanently for the ashram without telling anyone. "From that day he was totally absorbed in Bhagavan", she says."Searching for him I reached Sri Ramanasramam. I found him and yet did not find him for he was wholly Bhagavan's now."

Muruganar stayed near the temple in town with Eswaraswamigal and Gopal Rao. They used to go begging for their food at noon. Muruganar used to sit alone in Subramaniya Temple in the evening. One evening, acting on Santhammal's advice, I caught hold of his feet and asked, "What mistake have I done? Why did you leave? What will be my future? " In response he opened neither his mouth nor his eyes.

Soon after this incident; someone brought a piece of verse to the hall and put it before Bhagavan. Bhagavan wanted Muruganar to read it and said: "Muruganar has been absent for the last two days. What is the reason? " In response to this I went to Bhagavan and told him what I did at the temple on Santhammal's advice. Bhagavan got angry with me and said, "Why did you act like that on that woman's advice. You see, while he was here, you could see your husband. But now he has disappeared, what will you do? Hereafter, don't take other's advice and don't give trouble to Muruganar."

One day, all the devotees were sitting in the hall. I was in tears again. Bhagavan asked me. "Why are you crying again? Did some body tease you?" I said, "No one talked against me but I thought of my miserable life and the tears just came." Bhagavan said, "Why don't you take my advice? What is there in the family life. See, your father has ten children, but they are not helping him. What is the use? I am always here with you. Nothing will happen, don't worry." Thus Bhagavan consoled me.He said, "Go only to the house who calls you affectionately, Meenakshi '. The Ashram will take care of you."

Bhagavan then told Muruganar that he has not left him in the streets, but Muruganar has left Meenakshi in the streets. Muruganar got up laughing, but Bhagavan asked him to give a reply before getting up, but he went away without saying anything.

Then Bhagavan said, "I tried in so, many ways. It is of no use. God alone will look after you. "

Bhagavan was very kind to me.

His grace must be with me forever .....

Source: http://bhagavan-ramana.org/muruganarhowicametobhagavan.html

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Meenakshi (wife of Sri Muruganar) recalls her experiences
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »
Well said Udai Garu.

I will raise a seperate thread so that we can have more clarity as many may fall into the same trap.

arcsekar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 03:14:41 PM »
How dare to comment on Swami Muruganar.By the grace of Bhagavan, he attained jnanam very soon after meeting Him. He is as much a Gnani as Bhagavan transcending body consciousness and you can not apply the normal standards  and relationship of family man treating ones wife to the conduct of Swami Muruganar.He is an athiashrami.May Bhagavan pardon the ignorant members and save them  from blasphemy.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
Muruganar left enough money to his wife to live her life.  No doubt,
she got into penury during her last years, but, still someone or
other helped her.  For this reason, she never disliked her husband
or showed disrespect to Bhagavan Ramana.  Each according to
prarabdha.

G.V. Subbaramiah lost his wife and did not re-marry.  He took care
of his children with love of a mother and a father.

Kavyakanta Ganapati Sastri lost his wife Visalakshmi very late
in his life, but his grown up sons were taking care of him.

Sivaprakasam Pillai came to ask Bhagavan Ramana whether he
could remarry another girl after his wife's death.  But he could
not have enough courage to ask this question.  He remained a
unmarried person though he suffered from pangs of lust for a long
time.

Krishna Bhikshu says that Bhagavan Ramana saw to it that their
wives leave them, to focus on self attention.  I am not in agreement
with him.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
Bhagavan then told Muruganar that he has not left him in the streets, but Muruganar has left Meenakshi in the streets. Muruganar got up laughing, but Bhagavan asked him to give a reply before getting up, but he went away without saying anything.

Then Bhagavan said, "I tried in so, many ways. It is of no use. God alone will look after you. "

This reminds me similar incident happened between bhagavan and his mother.That time bhagavan though was in mouna atleast responded by writing in sheet of paper.

During the Christmas holidays of 1898 his mother came to visit him for the first time, accompanied by her eldest son Nagaswami,who had a few days off work. They had searched for him in the mango grove in vain. Now they had climbed up to Pavalakkunru.Ramana was laying on a rock in a state of neglect such that he was barely recognizable, clothed in a dirty scrap of a loincloth only.Twenty-eight months had passed since his mother had last seen him. Bitterly she complained about his neglected bodily condition and implored him to come home with her, but he did not react.

Day after day they came up to see him, brought him sweets and entreated him tirelessly, but all to no avail. Ramana remained silent.Alagammal tried everything. One day when she broke down in tears, he was unable to bear it any longer and simply went away.

Once she despairingly turned to the others present and asked for their support. Then one of them said to Ramana, “Your mother is weeping and praying. Why do you not answer her? Whether it is ‘yes’ or ‘no’, why not give her a reply? Swami need not break his vow of silence. Here are pencil and paper. Swami may at least write out what he has to say.” So Ramana wrote down, “The Ordainer controls the fate of souls in accordance with their past deeds – their prarabdhakarma. Whatever is destined not to happen will not happen, - try how hard you may. Whatever is destined to happen will happen, do what you may to stop it. This is certain. The best course, therefore, is for one to be silent.

So still i feel it is basic responsibility of Sri Murugunar to respond to his wife's requests and to respond to bhagavan's request to respond to his wife.

Anyhow better we concentrate on bhagavan's teachings and not to waste our time in petty issues.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:22:04 PM »
Smt Meenakshi to my mind was very lucky. Because of muruganaar, she came into the direct watchful eyes of bhagavan and got great spiritual teachings from bhagavan in the ashram kitchen. Muruganaar was probably apt in his behaviour towards smt.meenakshi as he did not want her to create any feelings of family with him and he made that amply clear. Although he got married due to the prevailing social conditions, he was rather clear about his feelings on family life right from start.

Bhagavan always gave her repeated assurances about the ashram taking care of her and not to grieve over her non-existent family life. He took special care to make her happy and there are so many instances of that in recorded history. Through muruganaar, she got an enriched life with bhagavan and her life had certainly prepared her for the ultimate destination.All thanks to muruganaar.

Ramanarpamastu