Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi was silent to the young man who used foul language on him  (Read 2470 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
One day a young man visited Sri Ramanasramam with some evil purpose. Entering the hall and taking his seat in front he began to put all sorts of questions to Sri Bhagavan. He wanted to extort hush-money from the ashram by exposing Sri Bhagavan as a hypocrite. He had already tried this trick successfully with some rich monks. By repeated practice he had cultivated this art into a paying profession. Having gained success elsewhere, he had come to Sri Ramanasramam to try his trick there.

Sri Ramana's own method of meeting insolence, malice, jealousy, misbehaviour, etc., of others, was the observance of complete silence. In fact, he preached and taught also by silence. His silence was very powerful. Such a powerful weapon of his battled and disarmed all aggressive and insolent persons.

Indeed, silence had become Sri Ramana's inherent nature.

It was his impregnable armour against attacks from people of all sorts. So, when the youth tried his best to draw Sri Ramana into a hot discussion or some talk or expression to catch him somewhere, Sri Ramana remained completely silent. Hence the poor youth's purpose was foiled. Though the youth was belching out foul language Sri Ramana did not utter a single word, and was all along calm and unperturbed. At last, after exhausting all his resources, the youth saw the impossibility of achieving his object, so he had to admit defeat and quit the ashram.

Source: Surpassing Love and Grace

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Like Ravana was there in Rama's life, there were some villains
in Ramana's life too.  There was one Perumal Swami who was
the most villainous of all.  He caused a court case against Bhagavan
about the ownership of the Asramam. A Commission came to enquire
Bhagavan.  Bhagavan Ramana patiently answered these questions.
The case was of course, finally quashed.

This villain suffered later the most miserable life.  He lost all his
money, which he had given to a person, for safe keep, and the latter
cheated him.  Overnight, he became a pauper.  He had no home even to sleep.  He was lying on the stone bench day and night, begging alms for some minimum food.  Finally he died.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
yes, indeed Perumal Swami is a unlucky devotee though he was very sincere during ramana's stay in skandasramam days.

Joey_

• View Profile
i wouldnt be surprised
you can not spit on God without consequence
But Sri Ramana said that there is no free will and He said: "you are yourself always pure. You are not the sinner."

Your comment just sounds like his miserable life was God's revenge on this man for troubling Ramana. Or did I understand you wrong?

Joey_

• View Profile
thank you, that makes perfect sense

SLakshmi

• View Profile
Inspite of the fact that perumal swami had done terrible things against bhagavan, bhagavan's compassion was utmost. Bhagavan was so gracious that when he saw perumal swami's condition during his last days, he asked the ashram people to take care of his wants and needs, especially food. Obviously the devotees were very hurt and would have none of it. I think annamalai swami took some initiative on bhagavan's insistance discreetly. One day the same perumal swami came to bhagavan and said ' bhagavan i have committed great sins. I am sure to go to hell.' Bhagavan with compassion told him ' Bhagavan will be there even if you go to hell'.

Incredible bhagavan!

Ramanarpamastu

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Perumal Swami told Bhagavan Ramana during his last days:
"Swami!  Will you forgive me and forget my sins.  I am sure
to go to the hell." 

Bhagavan Ramana said:  "I can forgive you but I cannot forget
you.  Even if you go to hell, I shall be there with you!"

"I bow to Him,
the Lord of the Hill,
the best among the bipeds."

Arunachala Siva.   

SLakshmi

• View Profile
Thanks subramaniam sir..i wasnt sure of the exact words used by bhagavan and perumal swami. You mentioned it accurately...