Author Topic: Thiru Kural  (Read 13892 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Thiru Kural
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

I have to go through the entire English translation with commentaries of David Godman. It runs to a few thousand verses.
I shall do it leisurely and post them for you.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 05:18:13 PM »
Thanks you Sir . No hurry .
I have started to memorize the verses of Thirukural and it will take me along time to complete and just want to have a list of the Kurals pointed out by Bhagwan / Muruganar and see why he selected those .I give importance to all the Kurals like I give importance to all the Shlokas in Bhagwad Gita but more interested in spending time on those that have been selected by Bhagwan for both these Great Works . My interest is to first memorize the entire 1330 Thirukurals Kurals and 700 verses of Bhagwad Gita and that itself is a Sadhana for me right now .
Keeping adding the list whenever u get time .No hurry and please do not strain urself for this .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 06:25:15 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

I am able to pick up 10 references to Tiruk kuRaL in Muruganar's Guru Vachaka Kovai. Since Sri Bhagavan verified the
entire Guru Vachaka Kovai along with Muruganar's pozhippurai (brief comments), you can take it as that Sri Bhagavan
also knew these and approved this:

GVK Verse No.

1,  76.  - In brief comments, of his own verses, Muruganar cites reference to Tiruk kuRaL Verse 26.

2.  76.  -  do - TK Verse 26.

3.  82. - do- TK verse 140.

4.  153. - do - TK verse 374.

5.  241. -do- TK verse 879.

6,  286. -do- TK Verse 1100.

7.  342. -do- TK Verse 423.

8.  365. -do- TK Verse 267.

9.  415. -do- TK Verse 346.

10.  499. -do- TK Verse 973.   

I shall cover GVK Verse 500 onwards in a separate post.

You should keep the original Tamizh Tiruk KuRaL and read the couplets.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »
Many thanks Subramaiam Sir for this prompt action . I will mark the same in my GVK book .

Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
Dear sir,

Like Thruvalluvar, Ovvaiyar also wrote one KuRal. I think it is jnana kuRal.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

The other GVK Verses with TirukkuRaL references are:

GVK            TK.

21. 542      355.

22. 592a    1101  ('a' means it is Sri Bhagavan's own addition to GVK interspersed.

23. 607        610.

24. 610        964

25.    646      1094.

26.    692       620.

27.    749        357.

28.    870        655.

29.   809        220.

30. 858        346.

31. 915        360.

32. 947        368.

33.1031       496.

34.1198         66.

Dear Ramanduli,

I have also heard about Jnank KuRaL of Avvaiyar.  But this book does not seem to be available.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Muruganar has also composed a nine volume poems titled Sri Ramana Jnana Bodham. On these, Padamalai, which
eulogizes Sri Bhagavan, Self and His golden feet, is in volume. This Padmalai has also been translated by David Godman
and others.

This Padmalai (English) has come as a separate book with commentaries for 1750 verses of the total of 3059 verses.

There are some references to Tiruk kuRaL in this book too.

No.   Original Verse No.  Verse No. / page in David Godman's book   Tiruk kuRaL verse No.

1.        2020                           48/153                                                   368.

2.        1006                            17/159                                                1094.

3.          260                            95/332                                                  121.

4.          976                            105/334                                                 963.

David Godman has arranged the verses subject wise, since Padamalai gives teachings of Sri Bhagavan
at different places in the book. Hence the jumbling in the number of original verses. If you want to go
through the original verses in Tamizh, you should see Sri Ramana Jnana Bodham, Volume 9.   

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 10:59:27 PM »
Thanks again Subramaniam Sir . I have Padamalai of David Godman with me and will use it first .

Om Peace .

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
Friends,
Those who are interested in TirukkuraL and do not know Tamizh may visit this site:
http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/weaver/i_one.htm

Here is an excerpt from the Introduction:
Many years ago when I was first in Sri Lanka--that was in 1949--I made a vow to bring together the best of the East and the best of the West. Living with a traditional Saivite family that informally adopted me in those early days, I was introduced to the Tirukural. I found it to be one of the most important scriptures in all of Asia, so enchanting and so very practical. It contains wondrously no-nonsense insights on life, teaching us how to deal with the various feelings and circumstances that we encounter in our internal life and our interactions with others. In this sense, the Tirukural is the most accessible and relevant sacred text I know, applying to everyday matters and common concerns.

The Tirukural is a 2,200-year-old South Indian Dravidian classic on ethical living. Not unaware that there are advocates of later dates (from ca 200 bce down to ca 400 ce) we honor here the prevalent Tamil tradition. Its 1,330 verses were written by a Tamil weaver sage named Tiruvalluvar. I have named his work Weaver's Wisdom. It is called Tirukural in the Tamil language. Tiru means "holy" or "sacred," and kural describes a brief verse or literary couplet.

The poetic masterpiece you are holding in your hands is one of the most revered scriptures in South India, where every child learns to recite its verses by heart. Hindus there regard it with the same reverence that Buddhists regard the Buddha's Dhammapada and Christians regard Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount." In fact, other religions also claim it as their own. The Jains proclaim it theirs, saying it expresses precisely their ideals of nonviolence, of dharma, of asceticism, vegetarianism and other aspects of Jainism. The Christians have argued that the Tirukural is so profound and filled with such compassion that it must have been influenced by the Christian missionaries who, their legends say, came to South India in the first century ce (300 years after native historians assert it was written). Many are surprised to find that the Tirukural is still sworn upon in the courts of law in South India's state of Tamil Nadu, just as the Christian Bible and Muslim Koran are sworn on elsewhere. Just as the Sikhs worship their holy text, Adi Granth, devout Hindus venerate with a sacred ceremony, called puja, the weaver's scripture in temples and home shrines. Albert Schweitzer, medical missionary and Christian theologian in Africa, considered it one of the grandest achievements of the human mind, writing, "Like the Buddha and the Bhagavad Gita, the Kural desires inner freedom from the world and a mind free from hatred. You find the quintessence of the best gems of thoughts in the Kural, a living ethic of love and liberation." Indeed, many claim that the Tirukural is man's earliest statement of the ostensibly contemporary ecumenical tenets, for it is free of the dogmatic bias that commonly attends religious scriptures. The Father of modern India, Mahatma Gandhi, took to these verses in his own spiritual life, telling his people, "Only a few of us know the name of Tiruvalluvar. The North Indians do not know the name of the great saint. There is none who has given such a treasure of wisdom like him."

One of the hallmarks of Saint Tiruvalluvar's genius was his ability to deftly define and subtly delineate Sanatana Dharma, the Eternal Spiritual Path, to all men equally, never limiting his audience to a sectarian view. Even when he speaks directly of God, Whom he addresses as Adi Bhagavan, Iraivan and Kadavul--ancient Tamil words for Supreme God Siva--the weaver's broad heart praises not the God of this faith or that, but sings his panegyric to "God Primordial," "the Incomparable One," "the Gracious One" or "the Compassionate One." In other words, everyone's God.

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
Ravi

Thanks for your inputs .Will go through the same .
Om Peace .

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 06:08:06 AM »
Friends,
In these couplets,TiruvaLLuvar expounds the subtlety of action:

1.செய்தக்க அல்ல செயக்கெடும் செய்தக்க
  செய்யாமை யானும் கெடும்

Doing something that ought not to be done leads to destruction:Not Doing what ought to be done also leads to Destruction.

2. நன்று ஆற்றல் உள்ளும் தவறு உண்டு அவர் அவர்
  பண்பு அறிந்து ஆற்றாக்கடை

Even Good Deeds are Faulty if they are done without taking into account the Nature of the Recipient.

Namaskar.