Author Topic: where the room for doubt?  (Read 1484 times)

SLakshmi

• View Profile
where the room for doubt?
« on: April 15, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »

Grahapravesam ceremony:

On the fifth of April, the invited devotees gathered in my hut  and about noon the master himself strolled in on his way back from his usual walk and refusing the special chair i had made ready for him, he squatted like the others on the mat-covered floor. After the ceremony bhagavan left.I followed him from a distance, waited till the devotees cleared away and approached him "Bhagavan", I started "you have given a home for my body, I now need your grace to grant the eternal home for my soul for which i broke all my human ties and came." He  stopped the shade of a tree, gazed silently on the calm water of the tank for a few seconds and replied " your firm conviction brought you here. Where is the room for doubt?.Where is the room for doubt!? Indeed! I reflected.

[Sh. S.S. Cohen - Mountain Path, 1986-35/36]

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: where the room for doubt?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:38:23 PM »
This is the assurance given by Bhagavan to many sincere devotees.

To G.V. Subbaramiah, He said:  Abhayam, abhayam!  (I am
conferring you protection from fear!

To Devaraja Mudaliar, He said:  "Your job is to keep quiet and
surrender to me.  Nothing else!"

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »
It is interesting to note that Bhagavan always responded to devotees by saying them that the grace is within themselves and not otherwise. He also shows his grace to devotees by very subtly telling that it is not even because of Himself as well but it is only the grace of Self alone; from within.

"your firm conviction brought you here"

The greatness of Bhagavan is that even His most casual response is so potent; is a Upadesa. He very subtly enlightens the devotee that it is not even because of any external force or some external grace, the conviction is the grace from within, the Self has brought him here. He very subtly frees the devotee even from Himself. arouses in him totally ekaatma Bhava.

We all know, how he enlightened Annamalai Swami, who never even visited Bhagavan. He only visited him on His Mahanirvana. He sincerely contemplated constantly on the essence Bhagavan's responses to him. Such was his devotion.

Like how we need a thorn to pick another thorn, a Guru, first makes the seeker attached to His Guru, and when a devotee thus gets attached to his Guru, Guru appears externally as grace as another thorn to remove the thorn inside (Ego) and then eventually, when the Guru (thorn) takes away the thorn - ego, then Guru (thorn) frees you from even from Himself.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:15:35 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:25:25 AM »
Faith and Conviction - bhavana - is the key word.  Ribhu Gita
repeats about this bhavana in many chapters.

Bhagavan Ramana also used to say:  Grace is ever flowing.  Grace
is like a boundless ocean.  But if you bring only a cup, only cupful
of grace can be taken by you.  Grace comes according to your niggardliness or otherwise.  The Ocean of Grace is never niggardly.

Arunachala Siva.