Author Topic: Today is Bhagavan's Maha Nirvana According to English Calendar  (Read 3800 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Bhagavan's Maha Nirvana was happened on April 14, 1950 at 8:47 p.m.

Glory To Guru Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi

As a lion seen in a dream by an elephant, awakens him; so the Guru, who is a sage, awakens the disciple from the dream of ignorance.The cause of all miseries is the impure vasana, the belief that holds the body to be ‘I’.

Here a recap for Nth time incidents happened on 14 April 1950

By April 1950, Sri Ramana was too weak to go to the hall, and visiting hours were limited. Visitors would file past the small room where he spent his final days to get one final glimpse. Swami Satyananda, the attendant at the time, reports, "On the evening of 14 April 1950, we were massaging Sri Ramana's body. At about 5 o'clock, he asked us to help him to sit up. Precisely at that moment devotees started chanting 'Arunachala Siva, Arunachala Siva'. When Sri Ramana heard this his face lit up with radiant joy. Tears began to flow from his eyes and continued to flow for a long time. I was wiping them from time to time. I was also giving him spoonfuls of water boiled with ginger. The doctor wanted to administer artificial respiration but Sri Ramana waved it away. Sri Ramana’s breathing became gradually slower and slower and at 8:47 p.m. it subsided quietly." Henri Cartier-Bresson, the French photographer, who had been staying at the ashram for a fortnight prior to Sri Ramana’s passing, recounted the event:

"It is a most astonishing experience. I was in the open space in front of my house, when my friends drew my attention to the sky, where I saw a vividly-luminous shooting star with a luminous tail, unlike any shooting star I had before seen, coming from the South, moving slowly across the sky and, reaching the top of Arunachala, disappeared behind it. Because of its singularity we all guessed its import and immediately looked at our watches – it was 8:47 – and then raced to the Ashram only to find that our premonition had been only too sadly true: the Master had passed into parinirvana at that very minute."

Cartier-Bresson took some of the last photographs of Sri Ramana on April 4, 1950 and went on to take pictures of the mahasamadhi preparations. Reportedly, millions in India mourned his passing. A long article about his death in the New York Times concluded: "Here in India, where thousands of so-called holy men claim close tune with the infinite, it is said that the most remarkable thing about Ramana Maharshi was that he never claimed anything remarkable for himself, yet became one of the most loved and respected of all."

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Today is Bhagavan's Maha Nirvana According to English Calendar
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:12:11 PM »
Udai Garu.I had taken below photo some time back in nov 2009 which is available in Bhagavan's Maha Nirvana Room in today's ashramam.

I think this photo should be one of the last times when anyone should have snapped him.Look at the bandages for his hands and his body is not more than a mere skeleton.

As Devotee Balaram Reddy Garu recalls,

Sometime during February of 1950, When I walked into the Nirvana Room Bhagavan simply rested his benevolent gaze on me and said nothing. Then he slowly stretched out his left arm and the doctors began their work. The bandage was drenched with blood; the wound was large and pitiful to look at; the pain must have been extreme. Bhagavan calmly turned his head to the side and the doctors went about their business. I was amazed to observe his total detachment. It seemed to me that he looked on this painful affair as if it was happening to a body other than his own. I can never forget that sight. Bhagavan always told us that he was not the body. During his last days, in the midst of tremendous suffering, he demonstrated it.

Bhagavan’s tumor had grown to the size of a cauliflower, blood was oozing between the buds and his whole arm was blackened. A doctor friend, who was experienced in all aspects relating to this type of cancer, told me that the pain associated with it at this stage of Bhagavan’s illness would be similar to the suffering experienced if a fully-loaded lorry ran over your arm.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:15:12 AM »
You can see from Bhagavan Ramana's photograph in the Nirvana
Room.  The head is swollen, and the left hand is also swollen
to a great extent.  The pain must have been excruciating.  Dr.
Guruswami Mudaliar (who also did one of the surgeries) said:
"There will be spindle-pain.  That is, as if on a deep wound, a
spindle is made to rotate fast."  Only superhumans can live
with such pain. 

The Maha Nirvanana Room was repainted and re-furbished during
last year.  The photograph and other articles, during that time,
were kept in a small room, adjacent to the Samdahi Hall.

As per Hindu Calendar, Bhagavan Ramana's Maha Nirvana Day
is celebrated on Tuesday, the 11th May 2010, this year.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:46:50 AM »
No words to write about Bhagavan, just silence...

Who are you, O' Ramana ?
You have pulled me into abyss of compassion,
Your glance is the highest grace
What are you O' Ramana ?
You are indescribable, You are!
Watching you is watching Aatma itself

and while watching Bhagavan, there is no Sadhana involved,
Watching him itself is perhaps what they call Samadhi

You are so mysterious, I don't find any words to know you.

Silence. Maunam.

Unnaye Maartri odadulathinmel urudiyayiruppaai Ramanaachala
Stay firmly in my mind, O Ramanaachala, and keep watch, so that this mind of mine may not change even you into me and the world and wander away from you, the Real.

Saappaadu unnai Chaardunai Vaaiyaan Chaandamaai povan Ramanaachala
Let me, you prey, Surrender and be cnsumed by you O Ramanaachala, and so have peace

Salutations to Sri Ramana

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
Mani asked me, "Was it true that the Mother of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram watched the light?"
[The star that appeared and floated slowly across the sky at the moment of the Maharshi's Mahasamadhi].

I said, "It is absolutely true. We were at that time in the playground. I was one of the captains. I was only twenty or thirty meters away from the Mother. As soon as we saw the column of light, the Mother immediately folded her hands and we also folded our hands. We watched the light. It was like a fireball. Then the radio made the announcement that Ramana Maharshi had passed on."

Mani was very, very moved when he heard that the Mother had folded her hands and we all did the same. He was thrilled.

-- Sri Chinmoy
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...