Author Topic: Yearning for God  (Read 2331 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Yearning for God
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:46:54 AM »
The core message of Bhagavan is to find "Who am I?" through Self-Enquiry and this is illustrated by the death experience of Bhagavan.

Similarly, the core message of Sri Ramakrishna is Yearning for God which is illustrated by his own intense yearning in his early life.

- Describing the days he passed in intense yearning for God, the Master said: "As I was perfectly unmindful of cleaning the body at that time, the hairs grew long and got matted of themselves, being smeared with dirt and dust. When I used to sit in meditation, the body used to become stiff and motionless like a stock through intense concentration of mind, and birds, taking it to be an inert substance, came freely, perched on the head, and pecked into the matted hair in search of food. Sometimes I used to feel so intensely the pangs of separation from God, that in great bitterness I rubbed my face on the earth; often it used to get lacerated and bleed. And in meditation, prayer and other devotional practices, the days used to fly away so quickly that I was not conscious of it. At dusk, when the approach of night was announced by the ringing of bells and the blowing of conches from the temple, I used to be reminded that the day had passed and the night had set in. With this consciousness a frenzy of despair would seize my soul, and I would throw myself on the ground and rub my face to it, crying loudly, "Mother, a day has passed; still Thou hast not appeared before me!" A gnawing anguish used to torment my soul, and those who saw me like that, writhing in agony, thought that I was suffering from colic pain".

- I used to pray to the Divine Mother in this way: "O Mother Who art the embodiment of bliss, Thou must reveal Thyself to me." And sometimes I would pray: "O Lord of the meek! O Lord of the humble! Am I outside Thy universe? I have neither knowledge, nor devotion, nor merit of austerities. I know nothing. O Lord, in Thy infinite mercy Thou must vouchsafe Thy vision to me."

- "O Mother Divine! I want no honour from men, I want no pleasures of the flesh, only let my soul flow into Thee as the permanent confluence of the Ganges and the Jamuna. Mother, I am without Bhakti, without Yoga, I am poor and friendless, and I want no one's praise; only let my mind dwell always at Thy lotus feet."

- "O Mother, I am the Yantra (the instrument), Thou art the Yantri (the mover); I am the room, Thou art the tenant; I am the sheath, Thou art the sword; I am the chariot, Thou art the charioteer. I do as Thou makest me do; I speak as Thou makest me speak; I behave as Thou within me behavest; not "I", not "I", but "Thou".

- We heard from the Master that after the regular service was completed he would continue his worship of Her by singing devotional songs of Ramprasad and other mystics. His heart filled with emotion as he sang those songs with exuberant devotion. He thought: "Ramprasad and other devotees had the vision of the Divine Mother. One can definitely see Her. Why can't I?" He would often proclaim piteously: "Mother, You showed yourself to Ramprasad. Why don't you show yourself to me? I don't want wealth, friends and family, or objects of enjoyment. Please reveal yourself to me."

- As the days went by, the Master's love and longing continued to increase. Because of his uninterrupted current of thought towards the Divine Mother, some external signs manifested in his body. His appetite and need for sleep diminished. As blood flowed continually to his chest and head, his chest turned crimson and his eyes were often drenched with tears. He constantly and intensely desired to see the Divine Mother, and repeatedly asked himself, "What shall I do? How can I see Her?".

- We heard from the Master that one day at that time he was singing to the Divine Mother and praying and crying bitterly. He implored piteously, "Mother, I have been praying to You so long! Why don't you listen to me? You showed yourself to Ramprasad. Why don't you show yourself to me?"
The Master described what happened then" "There was an unbearable pain in my heart because I could not have a vision of Mother. Just as a man wrings out a towel with all his strength to get the water out of it, so I felt my heart was being wrung out. I began to think I shall never see Mother. I was dying of despair. In my agony I asked myself" "What's the use of living this life?"...

- Although his longing did not always manifest itself externally through signs such as weeping, it remained in his heart all the time. Sometimes it would increase to such a point that he would not contain it anymore. Restlessly rolling on the ground with agony, he would pray: "Mother, be gracious unto me. Reveal yourself to me." He would cry so bitterly that people would gather around him to watch. He was completely unconcerned about what people might say when they saw him in that condition. He later said: "I scarcely realized the presence of people around me. They looked more like shadows or painted pictures than real objects, and so I did not feel any shame or embarrasment at all. Sometimes I would lose outer consciousness from that unbearable agony.

---------------------
Reading these passages again and again heartfully (substituting the Divine Mother for one's Guru, chosen Deity or formless Self if one likes) awakens the deeper self within us. We also become aware of the blocks which prevents our entry into the deeper core of our being. It is these blocks which prevent Self-enquiry also. If the blocks get cleared, Self-enquiry also improves. There can be many paths, but the blocks are the same, within us.

Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

silentgreen

• View Profile
Re: Yearning for God
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »
Questioner: I long for bhakti. I want more of this longing. Even realization does not matter for me. Let me be strong in my longing.

Sri Ramana Maharshi: If the longing is there, realization will be forced on you even if you do not want it. Long for it intensely so that the mind melts in devotion. After camphor burns away no residue is left. The mind is the camphor. When it has resolved itself into the Self without leaving even the slightest trace behind, it is realization of the Self.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »
Swami Vivekananda gives almost a similar description:
Man is an infinite circle whose circumference is nowhere, but the centre is located in one spot; and God is an infinite circle whose circumference is nowhere, but whose centre is everywhere. He works through all hands, sees through all eyes, walks on all feet, breathes through all bodies, lives in all life, speaks through every mouth, and thinks through every brain.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:06:45 PM »
Yearning is essential to attain Godhead.  Yearning is effort.
Efforts will confer you the Awareness, after which there will
be no yearning for anything.  I think, Sri Ramakrishna has said
one or two similes:

1.  Like a man who is very very thirsty, longing for water.
2.  Like a man in utter poverty, longing to get a job.

Arunachala Siva.

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »
you know what fascinated me the most about the O as symbol for the enlightened mind in buddhism?

that the circle is also the symbol of samsara, or the "wheel of life"?

something to think about deeply :D

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 11:34:19 AM »
Dear matthias,

Yes.  I agree.  The Upanishads call the Brahman or the Self as
Poornam, or zero.  The fullness.  You may observe that the number
0 has not angularities, though mathematicians can say that at
every point in the circumference, there is a very very small angle,
(silentgreen, your comments please).  All numbers from 1 to 9 have
some angularities when written on hand.  Any angularity denotes
the ego-self.  The number 8 is again a mystery.  It is a strangulated
0.  This Maya, Prakriti, Nature, Mother.  If she (8) withdraws her
strangulation of you, you become 0 or Poornam or Sivam.

The wheel of samsara, is again a 0 but there are arcs, eight or
four arcs.  This is Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha.

Arunachala Siva.   

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »
i tell a man to become strong like an elephant
he kicks the elephant and wonders why its about to crush him

Sri Ramakrishna tells the story about pride of money:
A frog had a rupee which he had kept in a pit. An elephant on its way walked over the pit. Rushing out angrily the frog raised its foot at the elephant and said, ‘How dare you walk over me?’ Such is the pride money breeds!”

Though this story is related to pride of money, it is applicable for pride in general.
We have dug so many pits of pride within us. Many we have forgotten, where exactly the pit is, but each is binding us. The elephant of God's love needs to find the holes, fill them up and carry away the frog on its back.