Author Topic: Two categories of Teachings of Bhagavan Ramana  (Read 1039 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Two categories of Teachings of Bhagavan Ramana
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:48:23 AM »
The teachings of Bhagavan fall within two categories,i.e., Self-surrender and Self-enquiry. The former comes under the bhakti cult where the aspirant believes in the existence of a Supreme power which is the repository of anything and everything in this world and every being must subordinate itself to this Supreme Power.

In other words the devotee believes in a higher power other than himself and owes allegiance to that power in the name of God.

This leads the aspirant to Self-enquiry by asking questions, is this body the ‘I’? Do these sense organs form the ‘I’? Is the mind the ‘I’ or is this intellect the ‘I’ and for every query, you get a reply ‘No, it is not’.

This process is called the ‘neti, neti’ process and ultimately the questioner merges himself in his Self by transcending limitations of the body, the senses, the mind and intellect.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana has made it quite clear that people who have had no literary education could also attain the highest knowledge through both the ways enumerated above,but people of an emotional nature will benefit themselves more by bhakti and people of a reflective mood will have better appeal to jnana.

In the case of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, in spite of his not having seen even the portals of a school, he was able to attain the highest knowledge through bhakti. And in the case of Sri Ramana we have an example of a Self-realised soul through jnana, though Ramana had only very little school education. Sankara and Ramana come under the latter category of sages and hence it was possible for them to attain the highest knowledge while yet very young.

Source: SURPASSING LOVE AND GRACE By His devotees

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Two categories of Teachings of Bhagavan Ramana
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »
Self enquiry and Self surrender are both one and the same.  The two
have no direct bearing on emotions.  Both only require Sraddha or
attention with faith.  But people who take up self surrender, sometimes
due to their inability becomes emotional and cry and sing.

Arunachala Siva.