Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi says ‘No want’ is the greatest bliss  (Read 2005 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Ramana Maharshi says ‘No want’ is the greatest bliss
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
17th March, 1939

Talk 648.

Sri Bhagavan said that Tatva Rayar was the first to pour forth Advaita philosophy in Tamil.

He had said that the Earth was his bed, his hands were his plates for taking food, the loin cloth was his clothing and thus there was no want for him.

In Maharaja Turavu (the renunciation of the king) he says: He was seated on the bare ground, the earth was his seat, the mind was the chamara; the sky was the canopy; and renunciation was his spouse:

Then Sri Bhagavan continued: I had no cloth spread on the floor in earlier days. I used to sit on the floor and lie on the ground. That is freedom. The sofa is a bondage. It is a gaol for me. I am not allowed to sit where and how I please. Is it not bondage?

One must be free to do as one pleases, and should not be served by others.

‘No want’ is the greatest bliss. It can be realised only by experience.

Even an emperor is no match for a man with no want. The emperor has got vassals under him. But the other man is not aware of anyone beside the Self. Which is better?

Source: TALKS WITH SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI Book

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Maharshi says ‘No want’ is the greatest bliss
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Dear prasanth,

"No want" state actually requires no-thinking state, i.e. Summa Iru.
Once there was a sannyasi in front of a temple, who always remained
still, in the state of summa.  The temple authorities were distributing two lumps of cooked rice during lunch time, as against
one lump that is normally given to other sannyasis.  One day, the
king came to the temple and saw this sannyasi.  He was wondering: "Everyone in the temple is doing some work or other.
Even the sannyasis outside the temple are chanting God's names.
This guy is just keeping silent.  Why two lumps of cooked rice for
him, for doing nothing?"  He quickly ordered the temple authorities
to stop giving anything for this sannyasi.  The temple authorities told the king:  "Sir, he is a great Jnani.  We must feed him, though he does not do anything."  The king laughed:  "Why, why?  He is
doing nothing.  What sort of Jnani is he?"

The Sannyasi opened his mouth now.  He said:  "Venerable King!
To be in "summa state" is not easy.  You can try to be in that state at least for a day, and then see."  The king agreed to come next day.

The king came next day.  He ordered his commanders and body
guards to withdraw from the scene.  He started the experiment.
A few minutes passed.  He started thinking about his wife and sons.  He started thinking about his treasury wealth and army.
He started to think about the rumours that the enemy king may
attack anytime.  He started looking this way and that way.  He
changed his sitting posture restlessly.  He looked at the sun.
He scartched his head.  Then, slowly he asked for the chief commander to come near him.  The chief commander came.  The
King told him:  "How are my wife and sons today?  Are they
anxious about my sitting here?  How is our treasury wealth?  Are
the taxes properly collected?  What about the rumour that the enemy king is going invade.  Did our secret agents enquire about these rumours.

The sannyasi looked at the king and laughed uncontrollably.  The king hung his head in shame and said:  "Sir, it is difficult to be in the state of summa.  It is the rarest gift that you have acquired this state of natural abidance in silence.  I am sorry.  I am lost."
He then ordered the temple authorities to give that sannyasi four lumps of cooked rice and ghee and sambhar everyday instead of simple two lumps of cooked rice.

Arunachala Siva.         

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:51:38 AM »
ramana is such a wonderful beeing   :)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:30:54 AM »
excellent example Subramanian Garu and well said grhluna garu.