Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi says The three states are of the mind  (Read 1561 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Ramana Maharshi says The three states are of the mind
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:09:56 PM »
D.: The sleep state is the state when the mind is quiet. I consider it a worse state.

M.: If that were so, why do all desire sleep?

D.: It is the body when tired that goes to sleep.

M.: Does the body sleep?

D.: Yes. It is the condition in which the wear and tear of the body is repaired.

M.: Let it be so. But does the body itself sleep or wake up? You yourself said shortly before that the mind is quiet in sleep. The three states are of the mind.

D.: Are they not states of the soul functioning through the senses, etc.?

M.: They are not of the soul or of the body. The soul remains always uncontaminated. It is the substratum running through all these three states. Wakefulness passes off, I am; the dream state passes off, I am; the sleep state passes off, I am. They repeat themselves, and yet I am. They are like pictures moving on the screen in a cinema show.They do not affect the screen. Similarly also, I remain unaffected although these states pass off. If it is of the body, are you aware of the body in sleep?

D.: No.

M.: Without knowing the body to be there how can the body be said to be in sleep?

D.: Because it is still found after waking up.

M.: The sense of body is a thought; the thought is of the mind, the mind rises after the ‘I-thought’, the ‘I-thought’ is the root thought. If that is held, the other thoughts will disappear. There will then be no body, no mind, not even the ego.

D.: What will remain then?

M.: The Self in its purity.

Source: TALKS WITH SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI Book

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Maharshi says The three states are of the mind
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »
Bhagavan Ramana said that the mind is the condensed body.  He
has also said that the body does not require sleep, it needs only
rest.  But it is the mind which requires sleep.  Mind is ever churning.

The Jnanis consider the three states as the same since they never
leave the Self.  That is why their sleep is also sleepless sleep.
Devotees of a Jnani would always like to see his face after he wakes up.  It is called Siva Darsanam.  Because the face is quite fresh
and like a fresh blossomed lotus.  For most of us, if we see our
faces in a mirror, immediately after we wake up, we will be looking
like ghosts, how many dreams, how many nightmares, how many
thoughts as soon as we get up!

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Maharshi says The three states are of the mind
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:20:42 PM »
Well said Subramanian Garu.

I remember you saying in this forum sometime back that

It is not the body but the mind wants/needs sleep.Body when tired needs only rest and need not necessarily be sleep.But the monkey of the mind needs sleep.

There will be some days, when you are lying in bed for hours, and the body gets all the rest, but since your mind is churning with thoughts, you do not get sleep. The mind needs sleep, because only in sleep, (or in fainting or in samadhi), the mind gets curled up.

I really like those golden words spoken by you in the past Subramanian sir.