Author Topic: limiteless compassion  (Read 1601 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
limiteless compassion
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »
It was very cold winter season. One night there was no electricity. Petromax lights were lighted. Then the devotees noticed that two sparrows were sitting in front of the petromax light and warming themselves. Bhagavan's attendant  wanted to close the windows of the hall to ward off cold draft which was blowing. Bhagavan stopped the attendant by saying, "No, don't close the windows! These sparrows have come to protect themselves from the cold. For them there are  no blankets as we have. Let them stay here. Whenever they want to fly out, they can go out through the windows. Do not trouble them", so saying Bhagavan showed his solicitude for the sparrows. Bhagavan had 'Samabhavatvam' for all creatures high or low. He would say "The sparrows also have the same consciousness, 'Atma', like human beings. Only the forms are different"

Can there be anything much sweeter than remembering or reading Bhagavan's Compassions that is limitless. His compassion makes one get "Romancha" or closely translated as goosebumps?   (as said by Narada in his Bhakti Sutras)

Allthough, as much I try to imbibe Bhagavans compassion, samatva Bhaavam, I still fall short, there is so much duality still in me! Even if I am aware of such duality, I try and not act according to such perspective, but still the duality lingers within, what is the use of outward Samavtva and inside Vaishamya

All that I can utmost do is to just become aware of such fact and allow the dust to settle down.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: limiteless compassion
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
Once Bhagavan Ramana went for giri-pradakshina with some
devotees, starting in the afternoon.  The devotees carried
baskets of uppuma, vada and other eatables.  They were going
by the middle route inside the jungles.  After some distance, Bhagavan left the crowd and entered into the jungle further. 
He walked fast and the devotees had to run behind Him.  There
in the deep jungle, He met an old man.  Looking at Bhagavan,
the old wood cutter with his fully spread eyes said:  Swami, neengalaa?  (Swami, is it You?).  Bhagavan Ramana smiled and
said:  "Eppadi irukke?" (How are you?).  The old man was having
with him a mudpot with kanji, rice gruel.  Bhagavan took it and
directly poured the kanji into His mouth.  He almost emptied half the pot!  Then He said: "Is the remaining sufficient for you?"
The wood cutter was horripilated.  The devotees were non plussed
to see this scene.  Bhagavan Ramana said:  "You all may not know
him.  It is he who gave me gruel in the early years.  It is so nice
to drink, even the nectar would not equal it.  Please keep your
vada and uppuma for you.  Why do I need them, when I had amruta?  Bhagavan Ramana then kindly enquired the woodcutter:
"How is your family?  Are you getting enought wood nowadays.
Are you keeping good health?" 

Bhagavan's samatbava bhavam is of excellent standard.  He always
treated all living beings with equal disposition with overwhelming
compassion.  He used to even address the animals and birds,
not as it and that, but as he and she, with plurailty showing respect.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: limiteless compassion
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »
Truly wonderful,

I feel, Samatvam is the real teaching of Bhagavan and even Self enquiry only comes afterwards, which is hyped much by the intellectuals, but simplicity and samatva is the real essence of Bhagavans life.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta