Author Topic: It is for the sake of the Self (Atman) we love god  (Read 1835 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
It is for the sake of the Self (Atman) we love god
« on: March 23, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »
Man :- Though it may have been so, now, I love my Beloved God for the sake of His love only.Is this also selfishness?

Guru :- You are now praying to Him, as if you have no selfishness, that He should not give you anything except that He should appear before you and be with you.Suppose, you came to know that He has been giving His Darshan to all others, but has decided not to appear ever before you; would YOU still love Him? Thus it means that you are really loving (having devotion for) “your” Self,the target towards which the love of your Beloved God is expected to turn. This is why the Vedas proclaim, “It is for the sake of the Self (Atman) that everything is dear...”. So, Self is the dearest of all.

Source: The Path of Sri Ramana PART TWO By Sri Sadhu Om

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: It is for the sake of the Self (Atman) we love god
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
This is a famous Upanishadic quotation, I do not remember which Upanishad it is.
"The husband loves his wife, because of the Self within, the wife loves her husband
for the same reason.  The father loves his son and the son loves his father, all due to
the Self within."  The Self is the dearest to everyone.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:25:13 AM »
Dear srkudai,

Yes, Thushinm bhavana, total silence, irretrievably absorbed in silence, helps
in understanding the formless, but within.  Once someone asked Bhagavan:
Bhagavan! If Siva appears before you, what will you ask or say?  Bhagavan
replied: I shall tell Him not to have this coming and going business with me!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
This phrase Tushinim bhavana, comes as the final advice of the Guru to his disciple in Viveka
Choodamani also.   Bhagavan Ramana in His Tamil prose rendering of Viveka Choodamani
has not substituted any Tamil word for Tushinim bhavana and has used the Sanskrit word
itself, transliterated.  I think this phrase is the most powerful usage.  Bhagavan Ramana used
to say that Silence is the uninterrupted speech.  Old devotees like Kunju Swami and Viswanatha
Swami found this Silence as the most powerful teaching.  Kunju Swami used to call it Atma dhara,
the silent flow of Atma!

Arunachala Siva.