Author Topic: Meditation technique  (Read 4765 times)

matthias

• View Profile
Re: Meditation technique
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
what rule?

I think it is ok to talk about teachers

Akira

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 01:27:28 AM »
what rule?
I think it is ok to talk about teachers

guru(Sanskrit) = teacher (English)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »
Upadhyaya - is Teacher, in world sciences and arts.

Acharya - one who teaches you about God.

Guru: - is one who teaches you the Atma Jnana marga and its auxillaries like bhakti etc.,

(From Nochur Venkataraman's Satsangh.)

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »
Dear I,

The literal meaning of the Sanskrit word 'Guru' is that which is heavy or that which is of profound impact. Etymologically Guru means remover of darkness. Infact gurutatva belongs to the profoundest of the five divine functions (pancakrityas) vis.Srishti (creation), Stithi (sustenance), Samhara (destruction or devolution), Tirodhana (veiling) and Anugraha (grace). Gurutatva belongs to the anugraha mandala. What does anugraha mean? It is the power which makes a mature soul to come in contact with an illumined master. Its operation is infallible and it confers the greatest blessing on the jiva by kindling the inherent jnana (self knowledge). Thus through bestowal of Brahmavidya it  releases the jiva from the hypnosis of maya. In most of the cases this power of grace manifests through the personality of an external teacher. This contact is similar to the phenomenon of lighting a lamp. As we light a lamp only from an already burning one, so too the disciple gets illumined from the enlightened master. Usually the guru is compared with the legendary Chintamani which can convert any metal into gold. But Adi Sankara says in his Satasloki that Chintamani is an inferior simile. Chintamani can only convert the metal into gold. It cannot convert the metal into Chintamani itself. But guru does that alchemy. He transfigures the disciple into his own likeness through Atmajnana. The experience of the self deals a death blow to the disciple's ignorance and makes him transcend all dualistic perceptions; even the guru ceases to be an external phenomenon. "The infinite self alone shines forth, neither the guru nor the sishya, neither the teaching nor the scripture, neither you nor me, neither this world. Only that ever auspicious self remains! The one without a second! That alone am I!" (Dasasloki), roared Sankara that too right in front of Govinda Bhagavatpada.

(Thoughts shared by Nochur)

Salutations to Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 01:08:29 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Akira

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »
I am just talking about forum rules.

matthias

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »
I know that it might be damaging once samaya or spritual progress if one speak negative about another teacher, or spiritual aspirant who is pure in heart and deeds...

but I never heard about a rule on this forum where you are not allowed to talk about teachers, or compare them or whatever...its all a mind game, nothing substantial, so nobody can get burned or?

oh and my guru is the best (for me), :),
its about karma or not? I can feel a strong bond to a special teaching and teacher and really believe he is the buddha incarnate....and through this, Iam open for blessings from this teacher.
but then I can feel nothing about another teaching and a teacher and others are full of devotion and gratitute for this teacher//teaching...

is not so?

this would technically mean that I can judge for myself but not for others or not? and when we talk in htis frame there cannot be much danger or?

Akira

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 09:19:19 PM »
but I never heard about a rule on this forum where you are not allowed to talk about teachers, or compare them or whatever

Maybe you missed it, as it is written in small fonts.
It is on the portal page of the forum, just above 'Go to Forum.'

Akira

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »
:D what a great smile He had indeed

You too.