Author Topic: Bhagavad & Ramana Gita  (Read 33719 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Bhagvad & Ramana Gita
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »
yes she might have done charity ,but we can come to conclusion only after knowing her life history.

Few questions?

a) How honestly she has earned her money in doing business?
b) did she expect anything in return when doing charity like 'appreciation,thanks,praise.."

Bg Gita Ch17 text 20

That gift which is given out of duty, at the proper time and place, to a worthy person, and without expectation of return, is considered to be charity in the mode of goodness.

Bg Gita Ch17 text 21

But charity performed with the expectation of some return, or with a desire for fruitive results, or in a grudging mood, is said to be charity in the mode of passion.

So i think without knowing any of the answers we cannot conclude anything regarding her.

Reason i ask to reveal her details is i can show you many film actresses/actors/models who do all kind of nonsense and earn great money and do little of charity as well :-)

grhluna garu, can you please if possible reveal her name?

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »
Excellent grhluna Garu.

Really appreciate "Anita Roddick" Garu for her charity and her concern.

I had a gentle smile on my face when i came to know about her "Body Shop" business.

When our guru ramana says this body itself is a disease , people are busy selling products to decorate this corpse.

Anyhow,who are we to criticise anyone little babies? So lets hope that she was self realised or atleast god helps her to have higher birth in her next dream(life).

soham3

• External world is shadow of what is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
soham3
tomorrow i could open my door, find the first forest i encounter
find a tree, lay my body there and let the worms have it
i would not have a problem with this
salutations to Ramana

Please do not do any thing suddenly. Haste makes waste. I too once went to Himalayas with the intention of renouncing the world permanently. But circumstances ( such as food requirement for body et cetera ) compelled me to come back to worldly social life.
O Divine, lead me to dizzy heights of sublimity & loftiness

amiatall

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 03:23:15 AM »
To my mind, what has to happen happens without questions  :)
If one comes and says "i was born in such and such country, do this and this, and now i want to be spiritual and therefore should i renounce the world and go to mountains?".
With already written answers of Ramana, we can see the two ways He could answer:
1. If it were your prarabdha to go to mountains, then the question wouldn't have arisen. ( i think this is very important to understand )
2. Renouncing the world does not mean going anywhere and, besides, knowledge does not contradict actions and conditions.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »
Dear all,

One can go to Himalayas or anywhere in the world only when prarabdha directs so.
One cannot go to any place, just because he wants it.   Swami Swarnagiri went
to Himalayas.  He did not find anything uncomfortable there.  Still he had to return
because prarabdha willed it that way.  He came to Chennai, to Tiruvanmiyur beach.
Ramana asked him to come to south further.  He came to T'malai and then further
went to south to a village near Madurai and attained videha kaivalyam.  Everything
is predestined.  That does not mean, you should put efforts for right things in life.
Not only Who am I? but also Whereto I? is decided by Guru or God.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavad & Ramana Gita
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 10:01:28 AM »
I see from the posts that the BG topic has been side tracked and the original post does not remain
fully answered.  Anyway that is the say many topics go.

I picked up some passages where Bhagavan Ramana has answered the questions on BG.

Devotee:  The Gita seems to emphasize Karma, for Arjuna was persuaded to fight.  Sri Krishna
himself led an active life of great exploits.

Bhagavan:  The Gita starts by saying that you are not the body and therefore you are not the karta.

Devotee:  What is the significance?

Bhagavan:  One should act without thinking himself to be the actor.  The person has come into
manifestation for a certain purpose.  The purpose will be accomplished whether he considers himself
the actor or not.

Devotee:  What is then Karma Yoga?

Bhagaan:  Karma Yoga is that in which the person does not arrogate himself the functions of being
the actor.  The actions go on automatically.

The devotee paused for sometime. 

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 10:39:19 AM »
The devotee continued after some pause:

Devotee:  Is it non attachment to the fruits of action?

Bhagavan:  The question of non attachment arises only if there is the actor.  It is said throughout
that you should not consider yourself the actor.

Devotee:  The Gita teaches active life from the beginning to end.

Bhagavan:  Yes, the actorless action.  Bhagavan Sri Krishna is an ideal example of such a karma yogi.

Bhagavan Ramana clarifies it thus:

The Self makes the universe what it is by his Shakti and yet does not himself act.  Sri Krishna
says in BG "I am not the doer and yet actions go on."  If is clear from the Mahabharata that very
wonderful actions were effected by him.  Yet He says that He is not the doer.  It is like the Sun
and the world action.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 10:44:45 AM »
There are certain apparent contradictions in the Gita which baffle an ordinary reader.  Maharshi
in His replies removes such contradictions.  In reply to a question, He said:

The answers will be according to the CAPACITY OF THE SEEKER.  It is said in the second chapter
of Gita that no one is born or dies.  But in the fourth chapter Sri Krishna says that numerous
incarnations of His and Arjuna had taken place, all known  to Him but not to Arjuna.  Which of
these statements is true?  Both the statements are true, but from different standpoints.  Now
a question is raised, how can Jiva rise up from the Self? Only know you are Real Being.  Then
you will not raise this question.  Why should a man consider himself separate?  How was he before
being born and how will he be after death?  Why waste time in such discussions?  What was your
form in deep sleep?  Why do you consider yourself now as an individual?

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 10:52:28 AM »
Another devotee asked:

What is Viswarupa?

Bhagavan:  It is to see the world as the Self or God.  In the BG, God is said to be various things
and being and also the whole universe.  How to realize it and see it so?  Can one see one's own
Self?

Devotee:  Is it then wrong to say that some have seen it?

Bhagavan:  It is true in the same degree as you are.  Realization implies perfection. 
When you are limited, your knowledge is thus imperfect.  In Viswarupa Darsan, Arjuna is told
to see whatever he DESIRED and NOT WHATEVER WAS PRESENTED TO HIM.  How can that
darsan be real?

(Bhagavan Ramana has also said on another occasion, that we should try for Viswa-atma
darsan and not desire Viswarupa darsan.)

Arunachala Siva. 

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 08:50:54 PM »

Bhagavan Ramana has also said on another occasion, that we should try for Viswa-atma
darsan and not desire Viswarupa darsan.

Ramana commented that a juggler can also give virat-roopa darshan to the onlookers.

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 08:54:34 PM »
One devotee of Krishna from Lahore desired to see his formless aspect. Krishna guided him to Ramanasramam.

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »
On being asked which shloka of BG did he like most, Ramana replied,
" Aham atma Gudakesh ----------------------".

soham3

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 09:10:46 PM »
(1) Gandhi on being asked to explain how he being a practiser of non-violence follows Gita which advises Arjun to kill his foes, he replied that Arjun had a fear to fight. So Arjun was advised to fight to overcome fear.
(2) On another occasion, Gandhi was asked to explain philosophy of desireless action as preached by Gita. He said that in all humility he can say that some expectation of fruit for the work you do is bound to be there.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
Bhagavan and BG continues....

On another occasion, a devotee asked Maharshi.  "Why does Sri
Krishna say, 'After several re-births, the seeker gains Knowledge
and thus knows me?'  There must be evolution from stage to stage."

Maharshi replied:

"How does BG begin?  'Neither I was not, nor you nor these chiefs etc.,  Neither is it born, nor does it die, etc.,'  So there is no birth,
nor death, no present, as you look at it.  Reality was, is and will
be.  It is changeless.  Later Arjuna asked Sri Krishna how He could
have lived before, Aditya.  Then Krishna seeing Arjuna was confounding Him with the gross body, spoke to him accordingly.
The instruction is for one who sees diversity.  In reality, there is
neither bondage nor mukti for himself or for others from the JNANI'S
STANDPOINT. Abhyasa (practice) is only prevent any disturbance
to the inherent peace.  There is no question of years.  Prevent
this thought at this moment.  You are only in your natural state,
whether you make Abhysa or not."

Here Bhagavan Ramana refers to His famous dictum:  "You are
already realized."

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 02:26:53 PM »
People generally consider Sri Krishna as a personal God.  They
over-emphasize the physical form of the Lord.  According to them,
He is a mytholgical God of the Hindus, and thus they miss the real
teaching of the Gita.  What does Krishna say about Himself throughout the Gita?  Bhagavan clearly removes the doubt and
explains the real nature of Sri Krishna.  He points out even the limitations of the cosmic form shown by Him to Arjuna, as described
in Chapter XI.

Once a devotee said, "There is a girl of eleven from Lahore.  She is
very remarkable.  She says she can call upon Krishna twice and remain conscious, but if she calls Him a third time, she becomes
unconscious and remains in trance for ten hours continuously.

Maharshi commented,: "So long as you think Krishna is different from you, you call upon Him.  Falling into trance denotes the transitoriness of the samadhi.  You are always in Samadhi.  That
is what should be realized.  God vision is only vision of the Self
objectified as the God of one's own faith.  Know the Self."

Arunachala Siva.