Author Topic: What "Sri Arunachala Venba" book says about India and Arunachalam  (Read 4190 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
“Among all the globes, this earth is the only one for attaining Liberation, and among all the countries on earth, Bharatam (India) is the best.Among all the holy places (kshetras) in Bharatam,where various divine powers are manifest and functioning, Arunachalam is the foremost !”

“Tiruvarur, Chidambaram and Kasi are the holy places which bestow Liberation upon those who are born in, who see, or who die in them respectively, but Arunachalam bestows Liberation upon anyone on earth who merely thinks of It !”

-- ‘Sri Arunachala Venba’, verses 1 and 2

Source: The Path of Sri Ramana PART ONE The Jñana aspect of the teaching By Sri Sadhu Om

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: What "Sri Arunachala Venba" book says about India and Arunachalam
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 02:43:48 PM »
I agree with udai garu but at the same time i agree that no one can deny the power of arunachala.

Though god dwells everywhere what has attracted me,udai garu,and every member to this forum?

Suppose say we come to know that ramana maharshi's  physical body is very much alive now and he is staying in tiruvanmallai.Now tell me who donot want to go and visit him? Now if our answer is "yes" may i know the reason why we want to visit and him now that we are completely aware of his teachings?

Simple Answer:  Power cannot be denied..

Below talk can give us more clarity.

Talk 273.

Dr. Syed asked: I have been reading the Five Hymns. I find that the hymns are addressed to Arunachala by you. You are an Advaitin. How do you then address God as a separate Being?

M.: The devotee, God and the Hymns are all the Self.

D.: But you are addressing God. You are specifying this Arunachala Hill as God.

M.: You can identify the Self with the body. Should not the devotee identify the Self with Arunachala?

D.: If Arunachala be the Self why should it be specially picked out among so many other hills? God is everywhere. Why do you specify Him as Arunachala?

M.: What has attracted you from Allahabad to this place? What has attracted all these people around?

D.: Sri Bhagavan.

M.: How was I attracted here? By Arunachala. The Power cannot be denied. Again Arunachala is within and not without. The Self is Arunachala.

Source: TALKS WITH SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI Book

Sri Bhagavan to Dr. T. N. Krishnaswamy:

The whole hill is sacred. It is Siva himself. Just as we identify ourselves with a body, so Siva has chosen to identify himself with his hill. Arunachala is pure wisdom (jnana) in the form of a hill. It is out of compassion to those who seek him that he has chosen to reveal himself in the form of a hill visible to the eye. The seeker will obtain guidance and solace by staying near this hill.

Sources:

1) From the Ramana Pictorial Souvenir
2) http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/2002/?pg=jan-feb

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:28:17 PM »
More Over i would love to see comments from Subramanian garu And Sri lakshmi Garu and rest of members regarding this.

I think recently Sri lakshmi Garu went to Arunachalam and had a great visit there.
I am sure Subramanian garu went atleast 10 times to Arunachalam till now?
I am sure udai garu should have visited arunachalam atleast once or maybe atleast hoping to visit in future?
As said earlier, I and my wife went in Dec 2009 for arunachalam.

Common Questions To Every Member in this Forum:

1) Do you agree that there is "power" in arunachala? Or do you think that every place is same and imaginary? If you think so then please let us know what made you to visit arunachala?

2) What has attracted everyone to this forum?

3) If all hills are same,why is that we have background photo of "arunachala hill" in the homepage of this forum?

My answer: Power cannot be denied.

I would love to read analysis of other members in this forum.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »
Udai garu and grhluna garu thanks a lot for your queries.

it will be great if any other members of the forum also participate.

This thread is important as i had seen some disagreements in the past in this forum regarding visiting arunachalam though i donot remember the thread URL.

Afterall, each man acts according to his own nature ,says bhagavad gita.

So we agree that there is nothing wrong in having emotional attachment towards arunachala hill for ramana devotees so long it helps us to eradicate ignorance completely and remove vasanas completly.

Afterall our guru has taken so many hurdles and even did not hesitate to tell lies( I think it was 2 times) to reach arunachala though he was self-realiased in madurai itself ! As known Bhagavan Ramana came to Tiruvannamalai on 1st Sept 1896, and from that time, He never went out of Tiruvannamalai till his death.

He has many times encouraged devotees to do giri-pradakshana around the hill with himself doing it regularly until 1926 though i am not sure of the year.

As Guru Ramana says,

All the five elements come into existence only when Sakti seemingly forsakes her identify with Lord Siva, the Supreme Self (Paramatman). Since the five elements are thus only the creations of Sakti, she is superior to all of them. Therefore, more important than the place where the elements merge, is the place where Sakti herself merges. Because Sakti is dancing in Chidambaram, Lord Siva has to dance before her and thereby make her become motionless. But in Arunachala Lord Siva remains ever motionless (achala), and hence Sakti automatically and effortlessly merges in him through great love. Therefore, Arunachala shines as the foremost and most powerful kshetra, because here Sakti, who has seemingly created all this manifold appearance, herself merges into the Lord. So for those mature aspirants who seek to put an end to the false appearance of duality, the most powerful help is to be found only in Arunachala-kshetra.'   

Though he is truly motionless by nature, in the court [of Chidambaram] Lord Siva dances before Sakti, thereby making her motionless. But know that [in Tiruvannamalai] Lord Arunachala shines triumphant, that Sakti having merged in his motionless form.  - Ramana Maharshi

As per prarabdha i became a devotee of ramana and so i can never deny the power of Guru Ramana and Arunachalam Hill.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 05:28:09 PM »
Dear prasanth_ramana_maharshi,

A very good question.
I would like to give my opinion.

I feel that a person's shraddha for a place increases as his self-understanding increases.
Sri Ramakrishna used to go to Samadhi by looking at the image of Mother Kali. Those who are not familiar with Mother Kali may find the image strange.

I have visited Arunachala several times and many other holy places in India. I felt that temples and ashrams have a peaceful devotional effect more than other places like parks, hotels, railway stations etc. Swami Vivekananda has also said that holy places have spiritual vibrations. This is possibly because of the "accumulation" of the prayers, devotional surrenders and meditative vibrations of the saints and many devotees in the atmosphere of the temples and ashrams.

Regarding whether Arunachala is the foremost of all places as declared in "Sri Arunachala Venba", I would say that I have read quite a few booklets concerning many holy places. Each highlight the greatness of that place. For example for a devotee of Vishnu, Sri Rangam is one of the holiest places. Apart from that there are Kailash Mansarovar, Uttaranchal Char Dham, Varanasi, Pushkar, Naimisharanya, Vaishnav Devi, Tirumala Devasthanam, Ayodha, Mathura Vrindavan, Puri Jagannath and many more which are considered to be great by the respective devotees. So it depends on the faith of the devotee. For a person who abides in the Self, every place is holy. For other it depends on their faith and devotion on one hand and the divine vibrations of the place on the other.

So the question really boils down to:
Do you feel that temples and ashrams have divine vibrations (due to saints and devotees) in their atmosphere compared to places like parks, mountains, railway stations etc?
- To this my opinion is...Yes.

To the question whether Arunachala is the best, I would say that visiting many places, I have felt Ramana Ashram to be having one of the most potent divine vibrations.

Now your questions and my opinion:
1) Do you agree that there is "power" in arunachala? Or do you think that every place is same and imaginary? If you think so then please let us know what made you to visit arunachala?

- Saints and Devotees create the divine power by their devotions and meditations which gets accumulated in the atmosphere as divine vibrations. Arunachala too derives the power from the saints and devotees.

2) What has attracted everyone to this forum?

- There are many forums and people get attracted based on their faith, devotion and interests. There are forums for other saints also and their respective devotees visit them. Devotees feel the deeper self in their Ishtha Devata.

3) If all hills are same, why is that we have background photo of "arunachala hill" in the homepage of this forum?

- Because Bhagavan's life is attached to Arunachala Hill. For a forum on Lord Krishna, Govardhan hill might be placed on the background.

Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:36:09 PM »
Thanks a lot grhluna garu and silentgreen garu.

Having read your comments still we can safely conclude that there is nothing wrong in having emotional attachment towards arunachala hill for ramana devotees so long it helps us to eradicate ignorance completely and remove vasanas completly.

Always remember that guru ramana has many times encouraged devotees to do giri-pradakshana around the hill with himself doing it regularly until 1926.

We are still waiting for other members to participate in this discussion.So members are requested to participate and add their valuable comments regarding power of arunachala.

Also we should remember that main presiding deity SriArunachaleswarar goes for giri pradakshina around the hill.

Suri Nagamamma recalls the incident as below

Letter 1

21st November, 1945

This morning Sri Arunachaleswarar started for giri pradakshina (going round the hill) with the usual routinue and devotees and accompaniment of music. By the time the procession reached the Ashram gate, Sri Niranjanananda Swami (the Sarvadhikari) came out with Ashram devotees, offered coconuts and camphor to Sri Arunachaleswarar, and paid homage when the procession was stopped and the priests performed arati (waving of the lights) to the God. Just then Sri Bhagavan happened to be going towards the Gosala (cowshed) and seeing the grandeur he sat down on the pial near the tap by the side of the book depot. The arati plate offered to Arunachaleswarar was brought to Bhagavan by Ashram devotees and Sri Bhagavan took a little Vibhuti (holy ashes) and applied it to his forehead, saying in an undertone “Appakku Pillai Adakkam” (The son is beholden to the father). His voice seemed choked with emotion as he spoke.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »
Once Ramana Maharshi Explains The Importance Of Yatra And Pradakshina (Pilgrimage And Circumambulation) as follows:

Reason Why i am pasting here this story is please please never discourage people who are planning a trip to arunachalam atleast in this forum.

26th June, 1949

One of the devotees who had recently come and had been staying for some time, asked Bhagavan, “Several people here go round the hill frequently. What is its greatness?”

Bhagavan told him the following story:

“The greatness of this Giri Pradakshina has been described at length in Arunachala Puranam. Lord Nandikesa asked Sadasiva a similar question and Sadasiva narrated as follows: ‘To go round this hill is good. The word ‘Pradakshina’ has a typical meaning.

The letter ‘Pra’ stands for removal of all kinds of sins; ‘da’ stands for fulfilling the desires; ‘kshi’ stands for freedom from future births; ‘na’ stands for giving deliverance through jnana.

If by way of Pradakshina you walk one step it gives happiness in this world, two steps, it gives happiness in heaven, three steps, it gives bliss of Satyaloka which can be attained.

One should go round either in mouna (silence) or dhyana (meditation) or japa (repetition of Lord’s name) or sankeertana (bhajan) and thereby think of God all the time. One should walk slowly like a woman who is in the ninth month of pregnancy.

It seems Amba who was doing tapas here, went round the hill on the day of the Krithikai star in the first quarter of the night. Immediately after the darshan of the holy beacon, she became finally absorbed in Lord Siva.

It is stated that on the third day after the festival of the Holy Beacon, Siva himself started for the Pradakshina with all his followers. Really, it is difficult to describe the pleasure and the happiness one gets by this Pradakshina.

Besides this, there are several varieties of medicinal herbs on the hill.

The air that passes over those herbs is good for the lungs. As there is no vehicular traffic there is no worry about making way for cars and buses. One can walk carefree according to one’s wishes.

Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam VOLUMES I, II & Letters from and Recollections of Sri Ramanasramam By SURI NAGAMMA Translated by D. S. SASTRI

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 12:09:34 PM »
yes now i agree with you completly udai garu.

Dear members,i hope everyone agrees with the final conclusion point

1) We can safely conclude that there is nothing wrong in having emotional attachment towards arunachala hill for ramana devotees so long it helps us to eradicate ignorance and remove vasanas completly.

Also As udai garu said eventually one should grow out of it! Because the Real God is within.

But any member still does not agree with the above conclusion point and believes all places are equal and imaginary and thinks there is no power in arunachala then i request the member to answer below questions.

Questions to members who does not agree with the above conclusion point

1) Do you agree that there is "power" in arunachala? Or do you think that every place is same and imaginary? If you think every place is imaginary then please let us know what made you to visit arunachala?

2) Though god dwells everywhere What has attracted you to this forum?

3) Suppose say we come to know that ramana maharshi's physical body is very much alive now and he is staying in tiruvanmallai.Now tell us if you want to go and visit him? Now if your answer is "yes" may we know the reason why you want to visit him now that we are completely aware of his teachings?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 01:53:47 PM »
This verse is from Sri Arunachala Maahatmyam.  Bhagavan Ramana has said that
the Hill is the very form of Siva, after the story of Vishnu and Brahma trying to
find Its bottom and top, when Siva stood as a huge column of fire.  In other
places, (these are all for seekers, as you would all know), Siva's power is manifested
in the Lingam.  Here, the Hill itself is the Lingam, which has become a mountain
after withdrawing its form as huge column of power. 

The power of Arunachala is immense.  There is one more verse, where Guhai Namasivaya
says that it will attract the Jnana-seekers and Jnana-tapsavins saying Come, Come here.

So while Siva is every-where, all pervading, the Hill has got a special power to attract
persons from all walks of life and from all countries.  The seekers can from any place,
not necessarily from Bharat.  This has been proved since Bhagavan's days. 

It is like the discussion on Heart Centre.  Bhagavan has said that for the seekers
of Jnana marga, the Heart is on the right side of the chest.  Where once you realize,
that the Heart is everywhere, in fact, the whole universe is in the Heart.

Arunachala Siva.     

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »
More over we should not forget the amazing incident happened Ramana Maharshi Physical body left.

Glory to Guru Ramana And Arunachala !!!!!!!!

By April 1950, Sri Ramana was too weak to go to the hall, and visiting hours were limited. Visitors would file past the small room where he spent his final days to get one final glimpse. Swami Satyananda, the attendant at the time, reports, "On the evening of 14 April 1950, we were massaging Sri Ramana's body. At about 5 o'clock, he asked us to help him to sit up. Precisely at that moment devotees started chanting 'Arunachala Siva, Arunachala Siva'. When Sri Ramana heard this his face lit up with radiant joy.Tears began to flow from his eyes and continued to flow for a long time. I was wiping them from time to time. I was also giving him spoonfuls of water boiled with ginger. The doctor wanted to administer artificial respiration but Sri Ramana waved it away. Sri Sri Ramana’s breathing became gradually slower and slower and at 8:47 p.m. it subsided quietly." At that very moment, all over India, there were independent reports of seeing a bright light rising into the sky. Henri Cartier-Bresson, the French photographer, who had been staying at the ashram for a fortnight prior to Sri Ramana’s passing, recounted the event:

"It is a most astonishing experience. I was in the open space in front of my house, when my friends drew my attention to the sky, where I saw a vividly-luminous shooting star with a luminous tail, unlike any shooting star I had before seen, coming from the South, moving slowly across the sky and, reaching the top of Arunachala, disappeared behind it. Because of its singularity we all guessed its import and immediately looked at our watches – it was 8:47 – and then raced to the Ashram only to find that our premonition had been only too sadly true: the Master had passed into parinirvana at that very minute."