Author Topic: My Trip to Ramanasramam  (Read 3626 times)

SLakshmi

• View Profile
My Trip to Ramanasramam
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
Dear Devotees,

How much i missed the forum! I am back...and with full battery charged for one year..until i go to ramanasramam to recharge next year!

I was quite unsure at first if i will be able to go to ashramam during my b'day which was on the 12th..nevertheless...booked the tickets in advance anyways..absolutely not one bit convinced and sure that i shall make it. Inspite of some hiccups at work and my dad's health...i so fierecely fought all odds, especially the concern of my family members that i was travelling alone there for the first time..and boarded the flight on the 11th of march bound to chennai.

As has always happened everytime in my experience during my travels to TMalai, this time too, from the time i boarded for chennai until my flight back to delhi, i was taken care of  and taken over by someone or something that i was quite unaware of! I say this because no other trip could be as perfect as my stay in tiruvannamalai is! how is that!

Upon arrival, Dr Murthy made kind enquiries of my journey and alloted me a room at arunai anandam, very near to annamalai swamigal's ashramam. I got ready and quicky made way to sh.matrubhuteswarar shrine, which was closed during that noon hour. I went and sat at the old hall..and how cooling it was! One felt almost like being at the lap of a mother after a ardous 4 hour journey by bus from chennai in the hot sun!The silence of the old hall is so beautiful..immesely peaceful...and old wordly! One feels transported back in time..and one can visualise devaraja mudaliar, sh.venkataratnam, tk sundaresa iyer, viswanatha swami being there amongst us!

The evening was spent listening to veda parayana and i participated in the tamil parayana. I had remembered to take the parayana book along with me. I made enquiries with dr.murthy for girivalam for the next day, being my b'day and was directed to smt.lakshmi who does girivalam everyday at 3.30 am!

Next morning, i went for girivalam starting at 3.30 am and came to ramanasramam at 6.40 am! It was so very incredible at that morning hour to do girivalam! It doesnt tire u...infact u feel refreshed after the girivalam and want to do it more and more. oh! how lucky smt.lakshmi is!

SLakshmi

• View Profile
Re: My Trip to Ramanasramam
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
I was also very happy to get an opportunity to participate in naryana seva in the morning and felt aboslutely blessed by bhagavan on that day! I went to the seshadri swamigal shrine in the evening and spent the rest at ramanasramam.

March 13th was sivaratri day..and although i am not the very religious sort and it didnt matter to me much, I was told by an ashram cook, sh.srinivasan, also whom i was very happy to meet [his life story only strengthened my faith in bhagavan], that i must visit the arunachaleswarar temple as it will be very beautiful on that day. I was quite uncertain about the darshan part, as being a saturday, pradosham day and also a sivaratri day, the crowds would understandably be a challenge!

what i am going to narrate next is nothing short of a miracle. Taking the blessings of bhagavan, i left for arunachaleswarar temple thinking that i will visit atleast the outer precints of the temple and leave the rest to god. As expected, as soon as i entered the inner gopuram of the temple, i could see a huge, huge sea of people! also the temple was being decorated with diyas and kolam all over for the evening celebrations! I then said to bhagavan, bhagavan! i dont think its possible to have your darshan today! so please forgive me!To add to the misery, i was told that special darshan tickets were closed on that day and everyone had to join the Q! so..obviously, annamalaiyar darsananm was ruled out! so i thought!

As i went around the inner temple, and did the pradakshina of the inner prakaram, of the nayanmaars, natrajar and other deities, i saw a police man and talked to him about the special darshan ticket. He said that i may have to ask someone outside if there were any such tickets available.He said there would be available for Rs.70. I said i was told otherwise. And then! He asked me how many of us were there. I said i was the only person..and having come all the way...i was very keen on any special darshan tickets available. He told me to wait and then after 2 minutes...let me inside gate that led me straight into the inner sanctoram of annamalaiyar!! There were very few people before me and after about 10 minutes wait i could have the darshan!! although they did not let anyone sit at the inner shrine, we could have a good darshan from behind the barricade! I was so very happy! What is this, if not a miracle!

The same police man also took me and gave me the darshan of unnamalai amman darshan, where we could sit and get the blessings!!!

Had sh sreenivasan not told me to go to the temple, i wouldnt have gone. I was in no mood for a temple visit that day as everywhere it was full of sivaratri celebrations...and i avoid crowds as much as possible.But this and on such an auspicious day! thanks to bhagavan!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:58:07 PM »
Dear I,

:) Very happy to hear the account of your travel. Felt really exciting to hear about your darshanam of Arunachaleshwarar on that auspicious day.

It makes me wonder, really, even though in the days of Kali, where absolutely there is no discipline and regulations among people, somehow, Arunahcala attends to his devotees in his own way.

He is very much there, in such a big presence as the Hill itself, as Ramana Himself!

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:20:16 PM »

In the evening, I took an auto and made an auto girivalam of arunachala, stopping at all the main lingams for darshan. It was very beautiful. The whole night long, all the temples were open and abhishekams performed for all the lingams!People performed girivalam and temple was beautifully lit with diyas and decorated with colourful kolams!

My last day at arunachala was spent at the shrine of matrubhuteswarar and bhagavan's samadhi. I sang during the aarati the keertanam - 'Panchakshat peetarupini'.

Sh.J.Jayaraman is a permanant inmate of the ashram. Incredibly intelligent, sharp, witty and aboslutely focussed, he spent quite some time answering my doubts and clearing all the webs in my mind. His explanations were clear, to the point and brief. He himself a writer and an IIT graduate has with his genuine interest in making me understand the intricacies of approaching self-enquiry, made me in awe of him.

Dr.Murthy or Murthy mama to me is as i have always said a karma yogi. He works tirelessly all day long..mopping the floor, dusting the cowebs, cleaning toilets...what not! He just silently comes at regular intervals inside the old hall, looks at ramana, takes in the blessings and again goes out to do his duty. Perfect example of detachment, simplicity, no-ego and perfection at work. Talks very less and works more.Infact i feel that you can learn about ramana way of life just by observing him.

Ramanan Mama, Mani mama, susheela mami are the guiding force of the ashram. One of them is always there overlooking the normal functioning of day to day activities of the ashram. They are very humble and down to earth..and very approachable.

On the final day, i woke up early and spent time at bhagavan's old hall in silence. I went to the matrubhuteswarar shrine and sought the blessings of the mother. As soon as i reached the bus stand it was as if the bus was waiting for me to arrive. It was a very comfortable delux express coach. Homeward bound, i looked at arunachala for the last time and thanked with a full and a very happy heart for a very very blessed visit! As i said, this trip to arunachala was all designed by bhagavan to such perfection that i couldnt have asked for more. Bhagavan you are great!

hṛdaya-kuhara-madhye kevala-brahma-mātram

aham aham iti sākṣad ātma rūpena bhāti

hṛdi viśa manasā svam cinvatā mājjatā vā

pavana-calana-rodhād ātma-niṣtho bhava tvam

Sri Ramanarpamastu

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:21:11 AM »
Very good visit. Let those who would like to go to Thiruvannamalai get inspiration from this.
Let those who cannot go get a feel by reading this.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »
Dear SLakshmi,

No one can go near Him, without His abundant grace.  He and Arunachaleswara
and Aruna Hill are one and the same principle.  I am very very happy to read
about your visit.  All persons inside the Asramam are quite helpful.  Dr. Murthy
and Sri J. Jayaraman, who is the Head of the Centenary Library are all persons
of great kindness.  I have spoken to J. Jayaraman at length on a few occasions.
He is well read in Tamil, English and Sanskrit.  His articles have appeared in MP.
Dr. Murthy does not talk much.  But he, as you said, is a karma yogi and is full
of compassion. 

I honestly believe that the police officer was no one but Bhagavan Ramana in
disguise.  He had come as policeman on a few occasions for devotees. 

Once my car driver told me that the Temple must have been built only by gods
and not humans.

Karunai all ennai andu konda nee.....  (Sri Arunachala Padigam)

Arunachala Siva.