Author Topic: Dog prefers Bhagavan's company  (Read 1928 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dog prefers Bhagavan's company
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
Bhagavan succeeded in being a friend of everyone - saint or sinner, prince or peasant, learned or ignorant, cow, dog or monkey. J.C. Molony (a district collector) who had gone to the hill to have darshan of Bhagavan has recorded how his dog preferred the company of Bhagavan to his own. "After visiting the sage on the hill, when I reached my camp, one of my dogs was missing. In the evening arrived the holyman leading the truant on a string. The sage said, 'he came back to me, and I should have liked to keep him, but why should I steal him from you?'"

All were welcomed to his charmed circle. Bhagavan gave freedom to all to enjoy his Saameepya (nearness) and his Soulabhya (easy accessibility).

Sri K Swaminathan in his remniscences in 'Face to Face with Bhagavan'

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Dog prefers Bhagavan's company
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »
Bhagavan Ramana was a great lover of animals.  Almost all the animals found in Him, a good
and secure company.  Once someone brought cheetahs to Him and they stayed with Him cozily
on the sofa.  Because the devotees were afraid of the cheetahs, I think, they were sent back to
the owner.  Dogs became vegetarian taking idlis, after coming  to Him.  Recently the Asramam
has come out with a couple of books about the animals and Bhagavan.  These are both in
Tamil and English.

Arunachala Siva.   

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:40:36 PM »
I agree with Udai Garu. 100% sadhana is required and without practice we cannot eradicate completly the ignorance.

Will a person become a high officer by merely looking at him? Is it not by steady effort in that direction that he could become a highly placed officer? - Ramana Maharshi

Below are Sri Rama Krishna views regarding sadhana

"What will you achieve by simply saying that God exists and doing nothing about it? There are big fish in the Haldarpukur; but can you catch them by merely sitting idly on the bank? Prepare some spiced bait and throw it into the lake. Then the fish will come from the deep water and you will see ripples. That will make you happy. Perhaps a fish will jump with a splash and you will get a glimpse of it. Then you will be so glad!

"Milk must be turned to curd and the curd must be churned. Only then will you get butter. (To Mahima) What a nuisance! Someone must show God to a man, while he himself sits idly by all the while! Someone must extract the butter and hold it in front of his mouth! (All laugh.) What a bother! Someone else must catch the fish and give it to him!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
I agree with srkudai on one aspect.  The animals love humans who love them and
not otherwise.  Such being the case, Bhagavan Ramana, the epitome of compassion
was a good company for animals. But to realize the Self, even those animals had to
work out their karmas and vasanas.  Such animals got freedom in the nurturing of
Bhagavan Ramana.  Bhagavan Ramana said about Cow Lakshmi:  I did not stay with
her till the last moment, because her vasanas had already been emptied.  But in the
case of Mother Azhagamma,  He had to stay with her till the end, since the vasanas
were gushing forth.  He had to place His hands on her chest and head to quell them
with His touch of abundant grace.

Arunachala Siva.