Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi tells why scriptures recommend cleanliness of the body  (Read 1911 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
The reason why the scriptures recommend cleanliness of the body [acharas] is only to make one completely give up the attachment to the body through the vairagya gained by knowing practically that, in spite of being repeatedly cleaned, the filthy and fleshly body again and again becomes filthy.

Those who happily take as ‘I’ their fleshy and filthy body, which converts even pure food into rotten filth soon after it is taken, are worse than a pig, which feeds on filth.

Those who take as ‘I’ their body, which takes in pure food and converts it into filth, are worse than a pig which takes in filth and converts it into filth.

Sadhu Om: Just as a man identifies his body as ‘I’, so a pig identifies his body as ‘I’. Though both are equally wrong in identifying a body as ‘I’, Sri Bhagavan points out how the body of a pig is superior to that of a man! That is, the body of a pig eats only filth and excretes it again as filth, whereas the body of human being eats good, pure food and excretes it as filth. Therefore, Sri Bhagavan’s verdict is that those who identify a human body as ‘I’ are worse than pigs!

Source: GURU VACHAKA KOVAI The Light of Supreme Truth or THE COLLECTION OF GURU’S SAYINGS translated from original Tamil By Sadhu Om and Michael James

Guru Vachaka Kovai is the biggest collection of Bhagavan’s spoken teachings that was thoroughly checked and revised by him during his lifetime. As such it has a unique place in the Ramana literature.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Deha suddham is a pre-requisite to keep the mano suddham.  There are exceptions
however.  In early years, Bhagavan Ramana did not even care for deha suddham
because He had the abiding experience already.  Only from Gurumurtam days,
He had daily bath, thanks to Uddandi Nayanar and others.  In Patalalingam once
one deva-dasi gave Him a bath, cut His finger nails, combed the hair and gave
also food.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
yes sure to some extent we need to take care of our body but it should not be our motto till end of life.

“Healthy mind in healthy body.” “If you proceed on the notion that health of body is necessary for health of mind, there will never be an end to the care for the body.”  - Ramana Maharshi

amiatall

Our whole society is built totally on the I AM BODY idea. Thus we see the effect.  :P

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear amiatall,

Yes.  Well said.  Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman says jocularly.  When A meets
B, A first asks:  "How are you?  Have you taken your food?  Can I give
you some good coffee?  How is your B.P.?  Do you go to the doctor regularly?
Please check up your sugar position also...."  All body thoughts, nothing but body.
No one ever asked me:  Have you read the Bible?  Have you read Sri Ramakrishna?
When did you go to Tiruvannamalai last?  etc.., etc..,

Arunachala Siva.