Author Topic: Some Sayings of the Sage Ramana Maharshi  (Read 1562 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Some Sayings of the Sage Ramana Maharshi
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
A Christian would not be pleased unless he is told that God is somewhere in a far-off heaven which he cannot reach without divine aid; Christ alone knew God and he alone can take men to God. If he be told ‘The Kingdom of Heaven is within you’, he would not take the plain meaning of it, but would read into it complex and far-fetched meanings. The mature mind alone can grasp and accept the simple and naked truth.

On another occasion the Sage declared that a Vedantin — one that has understood the teaching of the Upanishadic lore — can understand what Jesus Christ meant by the ‘Kingdom of Heaven’; he will understand what the orthodox Christian cannot, namely that the Kingdom of Heaven spoken of by that Sage is just the Egoless State.

Original sin: Once the Sage was asked about the Christian doctrine of ‘original sin’ — that every man is born in sin and can be delivered from it only by faith in Jesus Christ; he replied: “The sin is said to be in man; but there is no manhood in sleep; manhood comes on waking, along with the thought ‘I am this body’; this thought is the real original sin; it must be removed by the death of the ego, after which this thought will not arise.” And he explained the truth of Christianity as follows: “The body is the cross; the ego is Jesus the ‘son of man’; when he is crucified, he is resurrected as the ‘Son of God’, which is the glorious real Self. One should lose the ego in order to live.” We may remember here that according to all the Sages the ego-life is not truly life, but death.

How to overcome the worries of life? A visitor said: “I suffer from worries without end; there is no peace for me, though there is nothing wanting for me to be happy.” The Sage asked: “Do these worries affect you in sleep?” The visitor admitted that they did not. The Sage asked him again: “Are you the very same man now, or are you different from him that slept without any worry?” “Yes, I am the same person.” The Sage then said: “Then surely those worries do not belong to you. It is your own fault if you assume that they are yours.”

On another occasion the Sage said: “People ask me how to control the mind. I reply: ‘Show me the mind.’ The mind is no more than the series of thoughts. How can it be controlled by one of those thoughts, namely the desire to control the mind? It is foolish to seek to end the mind by the mind itself.The only way is to find the mind’s Source and keep hold of It.Then the mind will fade away of itself. Yoga enjoins Chittavritti- nirodha (repression of thoughts); I prescribe Atmanveshana (Quest of Oneself), which is practicable. The mind is repressed in swoon, or as the effect of fasting. But as soon as the cause is withdrawn, the mind revives; that is, the thoughts being to flow as before. There are just two ways of controlling the mind. Either seek its Source, or surrender it to be struck down by the Supreme Power. Surrender is the recognition of the existence of a Higher Overruling Power. If the mind refuses to help in seeking the Source, let it go and wait for its return; then turn it inwards. No one succeeds without patient perseverance.”

How to endure Grief. “By turning the mind inwards one can overcome the worst of griefs. Grief is possible only when one thinks of oneself as a body. If the form be transcended, one will know that the Self is eternal — that there is neither birth nor death; it is the body that is born and dies, not the Self; the body is a creation of the ego, which however is never perceived apart from a body;One should consider that in sleep one was not aware of a body; one will then realise that the body is not real. On waking from sleep the ego arises; then thoughts. Find out to whom the thoughts belong. Ask wherefrom they arise. They must spring from the Self, which is Consciousness.Hence there is no ground for even the thought of death. “If one thinks oneself to have been born, one cannot escape the thought of death. Let one therefore question whether one was born at all. One will then find that the real Self is ever-existent and that the body is only a thought — the first of all thoughts, the root of all mischief.”

Have animals souls? The Sage treats animals as he does human beings; when speaking of an animal he uniformly uses the pronoun ‘he’ or ‘she’ as the case may be.* Once when he was asked whether animals are not inferior to men he replied: “The Upanishads say that men are just animals so long as they are subject to the ego, that is, until they become aware of the pure Self. It may even be that men are worse than animals.” The Sage has also been heard to say that very advanced souls may have taken up animal bodies in order to live in the atmosphere of his hermitage. There were at one time four dogs living there, and these showed many marks of devotion; for example, when food was offered to them they would not touch it until the Sage himself had been served and had commenced his meal; as soon as he had done so they fell to, showing how particular they were on this point.

How should we act in the world? “One should act in the world like an actor on the stage. In all actions there is in the background the real Self as the underlying principle; remember that and act.”

Helping others. “The Sage helps the world merely by being the real Self. The best way for one to serve the world is to win the Egoless State.” Also this: “If you are anxious to help the world, but think that you cannot do so by attaining the Egoless State, then surrender to God all the world’s problems, along with your own.”

Vision of the cosmic form of God seen by Arjuna. “Sri Krishna told Arjuna, ‘I am formless, transcending all the worlds.’ Yet He shows Arjuna His ‘cosmic form.’ Arjuna sees himself, the gods and all the worlds in it. Krishna also said: ‘Neither gods nor men can see Me’. And yet Arjuna sees His form. Krishna says ‘I am Time.’ Has Time any form? Again, if the universe be really His form, it must be one and unchanging. Why does He tell Arjuna: ‘See in Me whatever you wish to see’? The answer is that the vision was mental — just according to the wishes of the seer. Hence it should not be interpreted literally. It was not a vision according to the Truth of God. They call it a ‘divine vision.’ Yet each one paints it according to his own views. And there is the seer also in the vision! If a mesmerist shows you omething,you call it a trick, but you call this divine! Why this difference? Krishna gave Arjuna ‘divya chakshus,’ — the divine eye — not ‘Jnana chakshus’ — the Eye that is Pure Consciousness, which has no visions. Nothing that is seen is real.”

Does the Sage meditate on God? “Meditation is thinking, and thinking is relative to forgetting. He that forgets God must think of God. The Sage never forgets God, just as we never forget ourselves. So he does not meditate on God. But as he never forgets God, it may truly be said that he is ever meditating on God.”

Happiness. “To seek happiness, identifying the Self with the body, is like trying to cross a river on the back of a crocodile. When the ego rises, the mind is separated from the Source, the Self, and is restless, like a stone thrown up into the air, or like the waters of a river. When the stone or the river reaches its place of origin, the ground or the ocean, it comes to rest. So too the mind comes to rest and is happy when it returns to and rests in its Source. As the stone and the river are sure to return to their starting place, so too the mind will inevitably — at some time — return to its Source.” Thus it is promised that all shall reach the Goal.

“Happiness is your own nature. Hence it is not wrong to desire it. What is wrong is seeking it outside, because it is inside.”

“Healthy mind in healthy body.” “If you proceed on the notion that health of body is necessary for health of mind, there will never be an end to the care for the body.”

Mind-Control. “To still the incessant movements of the elephant’s trunk the driver gives it a heavy chain to hold. So too, to control the mind’s vagrancy, one should give it the best possible occupation. Else it will take to some undesirable kind of work. The best of all occupations to give to the mind is to engage it in seeking its own Source. The next best is meditation or japa.”

Answer to a pragmatist. Question: “If all men renounce, then who will plough and harvest the crops?

Answer: “Realise the True Self and thus see for yourself.” This is a general answer to all such questions.

Waking and dream compared. “The dream-world interests the dreamer because he takes it to be an objective reality, outside of and different from himself. The waking man is interested in his waking world for the same reason. If by Experience of the True Self he comes to know that the world is but a thought-form, it will cease to interest him.”

Source: THE UPANISHADIC LORE IN THE LIGHT OF THE TEACHINGS OF BHAGAVAN SRI RAMANA Book

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Some Sayings of the Sage Ramana Maharshi
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »
Ego is the original sin.

The cruzfiction, is the killing of the ego and so that the son of God
can merge with His Father.

Arunachala Siva.