Author Topic: Significance of Nandhi in temples  (Read 2513 times)

viswanathan

Significance of Nandhi in temples
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:50:16 PM »
I remember to have read long back in some publication that  Bhagavan Ramana has explained the significance of nandhi (bull) in shiva temle.As per bhagavan, the nandhi (bull)represents the ego in each of us and the significance of bali peetam (a circular stone next to nandhi on the floor) is that  the ego has to be crushed in that balipeetam and the significance of nandhi facing inwards towards god is that  after crushing the ego,always we have to turn our attention inwards towards god.
However,I am not quite sure whether the above explanation was given by Bhagavan and if  it is given by bhagavan, i would like to know from forum members in which publication it is mentioned.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Significance of Nandhi in temples
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 06:12:04 PM »
I have a couple of points to share about Nandi,

Nandi was/is the Guru of Tirumular, the great saint who gave us the great work Tirumantiram. To me I have always felt that Nandi is our Higher Self, our uplifting self, just like how Krishna says in the Gita,

udharet atmana atmanamatmanamavasadayeta
atma eva hi atmanah bandhuh atma eva ripuh atmanah

One should lift himself up by own efforts and should not degrade himself because one's own self is his own friend, and one's own self is his own enemy.

Nandi becomes our uplifting friend and always turn towards Siva, which is our pure and real nature. It signifies that we should always meditate (looking) upon our true Self (Shiva).

Another significance is that Nandi is Jivaatma and Siva is Paramaatma, and Jiva has to always meditate on Paramaatma, which is what is signified in temples where Nandi always looks at Siva.

It is also said that no one should walk in between the space, i.e. block the view of Nandi towards, it signifies to me that we should not let any distractions come by in our Sadhana on meditating our real Self - Siva.

The concept of Siva sitting upon Nandi also signifies the destruction of Ego, i.e. just like what Bhagavan has said that the the Ego(Nandi) is the Seat of the Self/Siva.

Also there is a practice that we should look at the Linga only through the ears of Nandi before we enter the Ganbha Griha. It signifies that, when we look through the ears of Nandi, that we should always look and listen - Sravana and Manana only about our real Nature - Siva.

Bull also signifies lethargy, laziness, and all the other Tamasic and Rajasic qualities, through the Sandhana of Sravana/Manana - looking/meditating always without deviating from any desires and allow the Jivatama become Paramaatma.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:14:33 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Significance of Nandhi in temples
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »
Nandhi, the Bull is directing the devotee to Siva.  Ganapati is Siva's
son, the facilitator for the process of reaching Siva.  Chandikeswara
is the guardian angel of Siva's property.  The balipeetam, by itself refers
to the need for sacrificing the ego over that.  The Dwajastambham refers
to the Jiva's victory over the ego.  When Jnanadeva wanted to enter into
a pit for Jeeva Samadhi, the Nandi moved from its place and showed a
deep pit, hidden in that place.  Jnanadeva entered it and his disciples
placed the slab over it and Nandi sat comfortably back in his seat. 

Arunachala Siva.