Author Topic: Lessons from the Kitchen  (Read 1269 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Lessons from the Kitchen
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:32:12 AM »
This is a recollection from Smt. Shantamma:

One day, when I was still new in the kitchen, I served Bhagavan with a few more pieces of potato than the rest. Bhagavan noticed it and got very angry with me. He turned his face away and did not look at those who were serving food. In the evening the women working in the kitchen would take leave of him. Usually he would exchange a few words with us. That evening he called me near and asked:

“What did you do today”?

“I don’t know Bhagavan. Have I done something wrong”?

“You served me more curry than you served others”.

“What does it matter. I did it with love and devotion”.

“I felt ashamed to eat more than others. Have you come all this way to stuff me with food? You should always serve me less than the others. Do you hope to earn grace through a potato curry”?

“Out of my love for you I committed a blunder. Forgive me Bhagavan”.

“The more you love my people, the more you love me”, said Bhagavan.

A good lesson was learned and never forgotten. Many mundane occurrences in the kitchen and in the dining hall during meal times showed us the silent ways in which Bhagavan pointed out to us the path of realization. Bhagavan was a stern task master and one had to implicitly obey him. Each day was a day of trial and lesson in spirituality. Those who have not lived through it cannot appreciate the deep spiritual effect of these anxieties and conflicts. Our ‘I’ would hurl itself against the rock of truth and the rock would not yield. The ‘I’ had to yield and in that yielding was the highest blessing. His anger would sometimes seem to shatter us to pieces, and blessed are they indeed who have seen in His wrath His utmost grace.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta