Author Topic: The story of Anandammal  (Read 1569 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
The story of Anandammal
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:24:33 AM »
Smt. Anandammal, was a student of Muruganar. She along with Smt. Kanakammal and Smt. Padma listened
to Muruganar about the meanings of the Complete Works of Bhagavan.  One day, Muruganar was telling
the story of Saint Vamadeva, from Atma Purana.  Anandammal then said:  Vamadeva, had only one
prarabdha of being born again in a mother's womb.  As soon as he was born, he attained Atma Jnana.
Is it not?" (He is like Nammazhwar)  After asking this clarification, she prostrated before Muruganar
and she never got up.  She had merged with Bhagavan!

Kanakammal said this story to Sri Ganesan.  (Moments Remembered).  It is horripilating to note that
after several years, Kanakammal prostrated before Bhagavan's Samadhi and got liberated at on
1.1.2010!

Arunachala Siva.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
Re: The story of Anandammal
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:28:22 AM »
Beautiful story..

Smt. Kanakammal further adds:

"Sh. Anandammal has been coming to bhagavan from his virupaksha days.She belonged to tiruvannamalai itself and lived with her parents.From her childhood she was attached to bhagavan and at virupaksha cave she would meditate infront of him."

"Though her aspiration was purely spiritual, her parents forced her into marriage.Even after marriage her regular visits to bhagavan at virupaksha cave did not cease.In course of time she had a son. All her thoughts were about bhagavan and her son and family members remained neglected. Leaving the child at home she would still go up the hill for meditation. Nothing, not even pleading persuasion of her parents and relatives could deter her from this practise.After a few years her husband passed away.Bhagavan also came down from the hill to the present ramanasramam."

"Anandammal after leaving her son with her brother shifted her residence from tiruvannamalai town to ramana nagar. she erected a thatched hut with mud walls.she led a strictly disciplined life, eating very little, speaking only on spiritual matters and going to bhagavan everyday without fail.The purity in her appearance would inspire reverence - the ochre dress, the rudraksha mala around her neck and clean shaven head. Her needs were few. One Dhannama who was a great admirer of anandammal used to help her by cooking for her. If Dhanamma had to go out of town she would cook rice for a few days and put it in a pot and pour water into it.This was all; when hungry, anandammal would eat a portion of the cold rice with salt for taste."

"Though she could not read or write, she could explain any passage in spiritual text.  She would be very happy if friends recited in her presence bhagavan's Nool Thirattu and Ribhu Gita. Her happiest moments however, were those when she could sit meditating in bhagavan's presence. She also dearly loved to go around the holy hill, arunachala."

SLakshmi

• View Profile
Re: The story of Anandammal
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:58:24 AM »
Cont..

"Once when i went to her hut, a young woman was lamenting over her hardship in life and anandammal's consoling reply still lingers in my ears. " your thinking about such troubles only weakens your will-power making it weaker and weaker. Renounce the whole chain of these thoughts. Go and sit in the presence of bhagavan.He will solve your problems and bestow well-being on you." She added "for women to do sadhana arunachala is the best kshetra. Did not mother goddess parvati herself do tapas here to gain the other half of siva's body? it means that at arunachala women will surely gain atma siddhi. Look at bhagavan's mother.Are there temples over samadhis of rama or krishna?For azhagamma bhagavan saw to it that a temple was built.What better proof is there for the greatness of womanhood?"

" A school teacher madhurammal, well versed in vedanta often visited the ashram. She hailed from madurai. Seeing the greatness of Anandammal she used to spend time with her and read out tamil religious books. Difficult passages which baffled her would be explained by Anandammal in the light of bhagavan's teachings. Thus what erudition could not reveal her direct experience could."

"In those days many earnest sadhus were living in palakottu - Muruganaar, Munagala Venkataramayya, Annamalai swamy, Kunju swamy and many others.It was customary to give these sadhus some special eatables prepared at devotees' houses.Once i prepared pakodas and distributed them to the sadhus at palakottu. That day i took a packet of pakodas and went to her hut.she was in meditation but she welcomed me with her usual affection.I offered the packet. Without touching it she asked what it was. I said "pakodas. I prepared them specially to offer to the sadhus.I had a thought that i should also give some eatables to the sadhus at palakottu hence i prepared them. I have given the rest. This is the last packet. I have brought it for u." She ate it and then turned a stern face towards and said " do you really think sadhus need these varieties?Look at that corner. Dhanamma has left cold rice in the pot for me for a few days.That is all i need. Time is very precious for seekers. We should abide 'as we are' - to remain 'as we are' is all that we have to do.Not waste time in making special eatables for sadhus. These are cause merely by distracting disturbing thoughts only.Remain where thoughts do not arise. So saying she resumed her meditative state. After some time she opened her eyes and "why do you waste your time like this? what does bhagavan say?close your eyes and be still. Simply be!"

"She said these words with such power that after all these years i remember and cherish them. Why should one waste even that much moment in so called good act when our master wanted us to spend all the time in reposing on the self.Even today in feel greately grateful to anandammal for saving me from unnecessary entanglements and directing me powerfully only to spend all the time in diving within withdrawing the mind from any outward going"

[Source: Mountain Path, 1986 jan, Pg 24]