Author Topic: Ramana Maharshi about Body  (Read 1331 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Ramana Maharshi about Body
« on: February 16, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »
Speaking to the attendants and to T.N. Krishnaswami,doctor and devotee, he explained: “The body is like a bananaleaf on which all kinds of delicious food have been served. After we have eaten the food from it do we take the leaf and preserve it? Do we not throw it away now that it has served its purpose?

On another occasion he said to the attendants: “Who is to carry this load of a body even after it needs assistance in everything? Do you expect me to carry this load that it would take four men to carry?”

And to some of the devotees: “Suppose you go to a firewood depot and buy a bundle of firewood and engage a coolie to carry it to your house. As you walk along with him he will be anxiously looking forward to his destination so that he can throw off his burden and get relief. In the same way the Jnani is anxious to throw off his mortal body.” And then he corrected the explanation: “This exposition is all right as far as it goes, but strictly speaking even this is not quite accurate. The Jnani is not even anxious to shed his body; he is indifferent alike to the existence or non existence of the body, being almost unaware of it.”

Some of the devotees made it a plea for their own welfare. “What is to become of us without Bhagavan? We are too weak to look after ourselves; we depend on his Grace for everything.” And he replied, “You attach too much importance to the body,” clearly implying that the end of his body would not interrupt the Grace and guidance.

In the same vein he said: “They say that I am dying but I am not going away. Where could I go? I am here.

Source: RAMANA MAHARSHI AND THE PATH OF SELF-KNOWLEDGE

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Ramana Maharshi about Body
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
Dear I,

Nice compilation. Infact, they say, Death is only for the Body and not 'I' which is True, but does body die really, fr to die it has to be alive first. Nothing actually dies or takes birth. Everything just IS.

Body is also a thought force.

Salutations to Sri Ramana

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »
Mind and body are interwoven. Bhagavan has said:  Mind is a condensed
body, or body is an expanded mind.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »
Jesus Christ said:  Look at the birds.  They do not save corns for tomorrow.
They get them today and eat and go.  Take care of today, the tomorrow is
taken care of by the Lord.

Arunachala Siva.