Author Topic: Some Anecdotes On Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi  (Read 2115 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Some Anecdotes On Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »
No photograph of Bhagavan as a child is available. Young Venkataraman was once photographed with his uncle. For that photograph he was asked to place his hand on a big book as if he was very studious. Suddenly a fly landed on his face to drive away which he lifted his hand. It was at that very moment that the photographer clicked the camera. Naturally, the photo was no good; even that could not be traced anywhere. The first photograph of Bhagavan now available was taken in or about 1900 at Virupaksha cave by a devotee from Kumbakonam, Nalla Pillai.

A devotee once sought Bhagavan’s permission to take to sannyasa as he was no longer able to face the problems of family life. Bhagavan advised him against it but the devotee persisted saying, “You came away but you say that we should not.” Bhagavan replied “When I came, I did not seek anyone’s permission”. At this, the assembled people broke into laughter.

An asthma patient requested Bhagavan to grant him relief from the ailment. Bhagavan said, “I also have the same problem; at least you have a Swami to whom you can appeal, what about me? I see no Swami. One has to accept whatever befalls him.”

To another devotee Bhagavan said, “Even if you go to hell I shall follow you. But my question is why should you do acts that could lead you to hell?”

Another devotee said to Bhagavan, “Bhagavan,so long as we are in your presence we are all good people but once we return to our place we resume our usual activities. I have been coming here for so many years now but I do not seem to have progressed even a little bit.”

Bhagavan: Those who travel by first class inform the guard of the train where they have to get down and ask him to wake them up. Thereafter they shut the windows and go to sleep. Do they wake up midway and ask themselves whether they had crossed their destination already? You are all like first class passengers. You have informed the guard about your destination. Does not the guard know what to do? When your destination arrives the guard himself will come and wake you up.
Can there be a greater reassurance than this?

Source: SRI RAMANA LEELA (A BIOGRAPHY OF BHAGAVAN SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI)
Telugu original Sri Krishna Bhikshu Edited and Translated by Pingali Surya Sundaram

ఓం  నమో  భగవతే  శ్రీ  రమణాయ   
ప్రశాంత్  జలసూత్రం
ప్రేమే శాశ్వతము