Author Topic: Reminiscences of R.N. Datar  (Read 1169 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Reminiscences of R.N. Datar
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:56:35 AM »
R.N. Datar writes:-

I had heard of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi as early as December
1929, when by a curious coincidence, I met in a village near Sirsi,
in the South Karnataka District, Sri Ganapathi Sastri, the famous
disciple of Bhagavan Ramana.  I then and there made up my mind
to go to the South in search of that saint.  In spite of certain discouragements, I ultimately proceeded to the South alone, in
December 1934.  I went in all trepidation, but the very first sight of Bhagavan put me at ease.  I still remember His searching gaze at me, when I sat before Him in His holy but formidable presence in the great audience hall, where He used to sit all day long, and receive
numerous visitors and seekers of Truth. 

After His long gaze at me, Bhagavan closed His eyes and remained
in a contemplative mood for about a quarter of an hour.  It struck
me then and now this feeling has now become a conviction, that
Bhagavan through His inner vision, looked through the whole history of mine -- spreading over births, past and present and after a close
scrutiny, took me under His care as His humble devotee.

Some years afterwards, when a friend asked me as to whether there was any formal initiation or diksha at the Asramam, I replied in
the negative.  But years later, it suddenly struck me that during my very first visit and the very first meeting, He had accepted me as
His sishya, the initiation being internal and hence imperceptible,
though equally real and effective.  I spent two days at the Asramam on that occasion and cannot here depict the strange conditions and
moods through which I passed, commencing with a feeling that I was on a fool's errand and culminating in a feeling of blessedness
that a Guru had entered in my life and taken charge of its directions.

I had a brief talk with Him, though I may state here that it was more the stay in the Asramam itself than anything else, that was
responsible for the strengthening of His hold on me throughout the period from that time onward.  It was a good fortune that I had
spent the last night of my stay, in the Hall itself, where Bhagavan
had also rested.  On that night, I had a significant dream, the purport of which was indicative of the confirmation of Bhagavan's
blessings on me.

(Source:  Arunachala's Ramana, Boundless Ocean of Grace,
Volume 6. Sri Ramanasramam, Tiruvannamalai.)

Arunachala Siva.